$1520
$2000

$1520
$2000

Women’s lacrosse team runs through Soaring Eagles

The women’s lacrosse team won an 18–4 contest against the Elmira College Soaring Eagles on March 25 at Higgins Stadium. The Bombers have won two matches in a row, and their record is currently 3–4.

Sophomore attack Ally Runyon scored 4 goals to lead the Blue and Gold, while freshman midfielder Morgan Cadwell scored her first three goals of the season.

Junior defender Ali Woller had a hat trick for the Bombers, and midfielders Delaney Gilson, Molly Fischer and Niki Standera had two goals apiece. With the win, the team improved its Empire 8 conference record to 2–0 this season.

With a 14-goal win margin, the Bombers recorded their largest victory margin of the season. Junior midfielder Niki Standera scored the first goal of the game, 13 seconds after the opening whistle, to give her team an early lead.

Runyon said Standera’s goal set the tempo for the rest of the game and gave the team confidence.

“It was nice to get one quick,” she said. “[The goal] just kind of got our energy up and told us, ‘We got this.’”

The Bombers’ 18-goal output was their highest of any game this season. They also played smothering defense, as they limited Elmira to only 13 shots on goal.

Cadwell said the victory was a result of the team’s effort in practice.

“We just really stepped it up,” she said. “We’ve been improving a lot in practice and just building up our intensity there, and it’s definitely translating over to the field.”

Despite a successful performance by both the offensive and defensive end, the Bombers committed 18 turnovers, which is their third most in a game this season.

Head coach Shannon McHale said despite the win, her team needs to improve to achieve its goals as the season goes on.

“We did have some turnovers,” she said. “We scored a lot of goals, but it doesn’t mean we played our best game today. I think that we can definitely sharpen up.”

Up next for the Bombers is Union College. The two teams will face off at 5 p.m. April 1 in Schenectady, N.Y.

$1520
$2000