$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

New housing option available to seniors and graduate students

Elias Olsen/The Ithacan
In an email to current juniors, Dean of Students Bonnie Prunty and Rosanna Ferro, vice president of the Division of Student Affairs and Campus Life, announced the launch of the Senior and Graduate Housing Community, which will be located in Eastman Hall. Seniors and graduate students can live in the community for either one semester or both during the 2022–23 academic year.

Ithaca College seniors and graduate students will have the opportunity to live on campus in a reduced-cost alternative to off-campus housing beginning in the 2022–23 academic year.

In an email to current juniors, Dean of Students Bonnie Prunty and Rosanna Ferro, vice president of the Division of Student Affairs and Campus Life, announced the launch of the Senior and Graduate Housing Community, which will be located in Eastman Hall. Seniors and graduate students can live in the community for either one semester or both during the 2022–23 academic year. The email said the community was created to better meet the housing needs expressed by seniors and graduate students in a more affordable way than off-campus options. Currently, students are required to live on campus for at least three years before being allowed to live off campus.

Juniors can apply to live off campus, however, the off-campus housing process for juniors was taken away for the 2021–22 academic year. This decision stirred controversy among sophomores at the time, now current juniors. The college has previously had issues with the on– and offcampus housing processes, causing backlash from students.

The cost of room and board in the community is $9,900 for the academic year. This includes a meal plan with 21 meals per week and $210 per semester in the form of Bomber Bucks. Room and board for current students costs $15,776 for the academic year. In 2019, the average rent price of a two-bedroom house in Ithaca was $1,135 and a one-bedroom was $941. 

The amenities in the community will include single rooms, gender-specific and all-gender wings, microfridges in each room, dedicated shared study and office space, open during winter break, option to request room placement near friends in Eastman Hall and the meal plan.

The email also listed benefits of living in the community which include only having to pay for the academic year rather than a 12-month financial commitment in a lease; electric, water and internet included; easy access to campus resources; security; 24-hour maintenance; free laundry facilities; and single semester or short-term options available.

Additionally, the new housing community will also be launched with the Senior and Graduate Council. Members of the council will live in Eastman Hall and will provide input and advice on ways to enhance the community housing experience. Individuals selected to participate in the council will receive a stipend of $500 for the academic year or $250 per semester.

$1495
$2000