$1520
$2000

$1520
$2000

Runners’ reunion: Cross country teams host annual alumni run

Ana Gavilanes
Senior Patrick Bierach nears the finish line while spectators look on and cheer. Bierach earned a first-place finish on the men’s side of the race with a 5k time of 16:51.98.

On Sept. 2, the Ithaca College men’s and women’s cross country teams hosted their annual Jannette Bonrouhi-Zakaim Memorial Alumni Run, an event that has been running since the mid-1980’s. The race honors the life of Jannette Bonrouhi-Zakaim ’90 — an Athletic Hall-of-Famer at the college who earned four All-American honors with the cross country team and six All-American honors with the track and field team — and marks the only at-home meet for the program each year.

The event allows current runners to connect and reconnect with alumni from the program along with their families. This year, a total of 65 runners were in action during the memorial run, including 36 men and 29 women. It was senior Patrick Bierach that came out on top for the men with a 5k time of 16:51.98, while sophomore Kyla Eisman finished first for the women with a 5k time of 18:42.00.

From left, senior Patrick Bierach and sophomore Adam Mocho run side-by-side during the alumni event. Mocho posted a 5k time of 17:19.53. (JADYN DAVIS/THE ITHACAN)

The men’s side of the race featured 14 current athletes and 22 alumni. Alex Whatley ’23 posted the top time for the alumni, clocking in at 17:21.79. (XINYI QIN/THE ITHACAN)

Sherry Golden ’00 — a lecturer in the Department of Speech Language Pathology and Audiology — posted a 5k time of 21:56.70, the sixth-best score out of 18 alumni. (ANDREW MARCUS/THE ITHACAN)

From left, Jesse Capellaro ’17 and assistant coach Roosevelt Lee ’18 run together through the natural lands. The pair competed together on the college’s track and field team from 2013–17. (XINYI QIN/THE ITHACAN)

From left, Rachel Rose ’23, graduate assistant coach Paloma De Monte and Meredith Garrity ’23 race together. De Monte earned first place out of all the alumni and second place overall with a 5k time of 20:05.70. (JADYN DAVIS/THE ITHACAN)

From left, head coach Jim Nichols, Mike Neilon ’90, Jason Trumble ’92, Marc Dovi ’92 and Michael Aldrich ’92 run through the natural lands. (ANDREW MARCUS/THE ITHACAN)

From left, Meghan Lansley ’99 and Tom Lansley ’97 race the course together. The pair met during their time at the college. (XINYI QIN/THE ITHACAN)