$1520
$2000

$1520
$2000

Women’s soccer takes down Clarkson with last minute goal

John Henry Downes
From left, sophomore defender Ali Amari fights for position upfield with Golden Knights senior defender Arin Bates trailing in the Bombers 1–0 victory over the Golden Knights Oct. 7.

The Ithaca College women’s soccer team came out of Senior Day at Carp Wood Field with an unbelievable win over the Clarkson Golden Knights by a score of 1–0 Oct. 7.

The winning goal for Bomber’s came deep in the second half when senior forward Rosie Bostian was able to knock in a pictureperfect goal to secure the win for the Bombers.

The climax of the game came with just two minutes left when Bostian, who has missed the last two games coming off an ankle injury, was able to make up for her lost time in grand fashion by knocking in the winning goal of the game with exactly two minutes left in the game. Bostian said that the moment was unmatched.

“All I was telling myself was to go in and work hard,” Bostian said. “It felt really good.” 

Prior to the goal being scored, the Bombers were facing an incredibly tough defense that posed a difficult challenge with Golden Knights junior goalkeeper Molly DiCaprio making four saves against the Bombers. 

Throughout the game, the Bomber’s defense was able to hold incredibly strong, making a great effort to keep the Knights scoreless. The Golden Knights would end up taking a total of eight shots on the Bombers’ goal. 

Bombers junior goalkeeper Grace Hickey was able to save both of the two shots that the Golden Knights would end up shooting directly on the Bombers goal, including a great jumping save with just a little more than six minutes left in the first half. Senior defender Clare Sunderland was also able to play a big role in keeping the Golden Knights from scoring, finishing with one attempted shot on the Golden Knights goal.

The Golden Knights would end up taking six other unsuccessful shots. Head coach Mindy Quigg said that she feels the strength of the team’s defense has been a strong factor for the Bombers all season long.

“They work at a very highintensity level,” Quigg said. “They’re in sync with one another, they’re reading one another well, it’s just making them stronger.” 

This landmark win for the Bombers brings their record to 7–2–1 on the season with a 3–1 record in Liberty League play. For the Golden Knights, the loss brings their record to 6–3–2 overall with the team falling to 1–3 in Liberty League play. 

For Senior Night, the South Hill squad honored its seven seniors for this season; Bostian, goalkeeper Kate Lawrence, midfielders Kim Hamlin and Kaitlyn Weis, midfield/forward Ally Stanton, and defenders Sunderland and Brenna Lorenzen.

Quigg emphasized the importance of this win for the team and said the game exemplified the team’s potential.

“It certainly means a lot to us,” Quigg said. “I thought we had moments in the game where we were really pressing, it showed our depth and they did such a great job.” 

The Bombers are now on a twogame win streak and Bostian said that the win will fuel the team going forward. 

“This win was huge for us, Clarkson is a really good team,” Bostian said. “Everybody worked their butts off and I think that’s something to be proud of.”

The South Hill squad will next play against the Union College Dutchwomen at 4 p.m. Oct. 13 on Carp Wood Field.