$1375
$2000

$1375
$2000

Review: Band says au revoir to old sound

“Move In Spectrums” is the fourth studio album by the indie-pop band Au Revoir Simone. After taking a four-year break for other projects, the all-girl trio returned to create an album that marks a dramatic shift in sound from quiet pop melodies to heavier dance music.

The album opens with the track “More Than,” which relies on synth sounds and drumbeats more than anything on its previous records. The lyrical content doesn’t change much, sticking to the band’s usual topics of heartbreak and the ecstasy of romance. This hybridity of synth pop and emotionally charged lyrics works well. Lines like “The tired eyes that shielded us/ took all my weakness to extremes,” with the poppier drum and bass elements of the album only help to serve the sappier subject matter, making it edgy rather than distracting.

Au Revoir Simone has come a long way from its roots of simple keyboards and light percussion, but even as the band changes in genre, its songs only become more anthemic — albeit in a polite fashion.

$1375
$2000