$1375
$2000

$1375
$2000

College Briefing: April 16

Faculty Council seeking part-time representative

Faculty Council is accepting nominations for a part-time faculty member to fill the two-year part-time faculty representative seat on the council. The deadline for nominations is 5 p.m. April 24 and should be submitted along with a short statement to be published on the ballot to Peter Rothbart, professor in the music history, theory and composition department and chair of Faculty Council, at [email protected].

Self-nominations will be accepted and any faculty member, full- or part-time, can nominate a part-time faculty member for the position. However, only part-time faculty members below the rank of associate will be eligible to vote in the election.

Faculty Council meets from 7–9 p.m. on the first Tuesday of every month. Further information about the council’s responsibilites can be found at www.ithaca.edu/policies/vol1/volume_1-10603/.

Fall 2015 course to offer winter trip to Costa Rica

An information session for a Fall 2015 Block II course titled “Ecotourism and Natural Resource Management,” which would allow enrolled students to travel to Costa Rica in January 2016, will take place from 12:15–1 p.m. April 16 in the Center for Health Sciences, Room 200.

Students who take this class will visit Costa Rica from Jan. 4–12, 2016, and learn about sustainable tourism while there. They will stay in ecotourism lodges and learn about sustainable practices in Alajuela, La Amistad, Monteverde and Marino Ballena. Other activities include hiking through La Amistad International Park to learn about regeneration of primary and secondary tropical rainforests, learning about indigenous cultures of Costa Rica at World Heritage Site Spheres Park, talking with local people about conservation and sustainable practices, volunteering at a turtle-conservation practice and hiking in the Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve and the cloud forest canopy. All activities are co-led by Costa Rican certified guides trained in tropical biology.

Interested students can contact Linda Heyne, a professor in the recreation and leisure studies department, at 607-274-3050 or via email at  [email protected] for more information. A travel itinerary and costs can be found at www.ithaca.edu/hshp/depts/rls/ecotourism/.

Celebration to be held for retiree Richard Schissel

The Department of Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology will host an open-house celebration for associate professor Richard Schissel, who is retiring after 30 years of service at Ithaca College. The event will take place from 5–7 p.m. April 21 at Corks and More and is open to faculty, staff, students and alumni. RSVPs are appreciated but not required and can be sent to [email protected].

Those who would like to share an anecdote or special memory can email it to the SLPA departmental email with an inclusion of their name and how they know Schissel. The emails will be printed and compiled in a notebook of stories and memories.

Schissel was elected as a fellow of the American Speech-Language Hearing Assocation in 1990, and he has served as the chair of the SLPA department, the assistant dean in the Division of Allied Health Professions in the School of Health Sciences and Human Performance, the graduate chair of the SLPA department and chair of the Steering Committee on Integrative Health Studies.

Daniel Nocera to give lecture on global energy

Daniel Nocera, Patterson Rockwood professor of energy at Harvard University, will present April 16 as the Department of Chemistry’s Jean Dreyfus Bossevain Lecturer with a pre-lecture reception from 5–6:30 p.m. in McHenry Lounge in the James J. Whalen Center for Music. His main lecture, titled “The Global Energy Challenge: Solutions from Science and Technology,” will take place from 7–9 p.m. in Textor 102. He will also give a scientific talk about solar-to-fuels conversion with the artificial leaf from 4–6 p.m. April 17.

Nocera is recognized as a world leader in renewable energy research. His “artificial leaf,” a system designed to mimic photosynthesis in plants, was named Time Magazine’s Innovation of the Year in 2011.

CSCRE to host lecture on protests in Mexico

The Center for the Study of Culture, Race, and Ethnicity will host a presentation titled “Specters of Revolution, Past and Present: Popular Protest and State Violence in Mexico,” which will be given by Alexander Avina, associate professor of history at Florida State University. The event will take place from 7–9 p.m. April 16 in Hill Center, Room 104.

Avina received his bachelor’s degree in history at Saint Mary’s College of Southern California and his doctorate’s degree in Latin American history at the University of Southern California. He also published a monograph, “Specters of Revolution: Peasant Guerrillas in the Cold War Mexican Countryside,” with Oxford University Press. His next research project will explore the connections between counterinsurgency, state terror and the formation of a transnational narcotics economy in the 1960s and ’70s rural Mexico.

The presentation will be sponsored by the sociology and history departments and the Diversity Awareness Committee.

$1375
$2000