$1520
$2000

$1520
$2000

College Briefs

Emma Kersting
Senior goalkeeper Lexi Held prepares for a shot that is coming at her. The Bombers extended their win streak to 10 games with an 18–3 victory over the Vassar College Brewers on April 19.

Rankin Climate team will present the Campus Climate Report findings

The Campus Climate Community Presentations will be held at two separate times, one during the common hour from 12:10–1:05 p.m. April 25 in Emerson Suites and the other 4–5 p.m. April 25 in Textor 102. The first presentation of the Campus Climate Report findings will be offered as a livestream and the second presentation will be offered in-person only. A full recording of the first session will also be posted to the Campus Climate website once the presentation is over. The presentations will be presented by the Rankin Climate team, who conducted the analysis of the survey results. There will also be a Q&A session following the presentations. 

Students are encouraged to apply to Fulbright scholarship as deadline approaches   

Juniors, seniors and recent graduates are encouraged to apply for the Fulbright scholarship for the 2025–26 academic year. The application is due Sep. 7, 2024 and students who are thinking of applying should consider making an appointment with Hugh Egan, faculty liaison for students seeking external grants and awards, to find out more information. Egan can be contacted at [email protected]. Fulbright awards fund study or teaching abroad, and they are available to students in every discipline. Research and creative arts awards require applicants to develop a project to be completed in the host country. The ETA application does not require any prior teaching experience and students of any major are eligible and encouraged to apply. 

BonnieCon will be celebrating Bonnie Prunty in PRW

“BonnieCon,” the retirement celebration for Bonnie Prunty, vice president of Student Affairs and Campus Life, will take place from 4–6 p.m. May 10 at the Peggy Ryan Williams Lobby in the lounge and patio area. Those planning to attend must RSVP by April 26. As part of the celebration, participants have the opportunity to send an optional video message to Prunty, which must be sent in by May 1. Additionally, donations can be made to the Emergency Student Relief Fund, which was founded by Prunty. Those attending in person can donate at the event. All donations over $25 made during the event will receive a limited edition commemorative BonnieCon gift.

Fulbright researcher to speak on experience studying in Nepal

A public talk from Rose Schwietz Malla, a theater-maker, researcher and educator from Minnesota, will be held 12–1 p.m. April 30 in Dillingham Classroom 6. Schwietz Malla’s talk is called “From Sand to Water in the Himalayas: Reimagining Traditional Nepalese Dance-Dramas Within Contemporary Theatre,” and will focus on her time studying sati ghatu naach, a traditional ethnic Gurung dance-drama in Nepal. She will also be speaking about the original play that was inspired by her studies in Nepal as a Fulbright researcher, Deurali Daandi: The Last Chapter of Ghatu. Schwietz Malla was director, researcher, co-creator for the play and is an MFA candidate in theatre directing at the University of Massachusetts Amherst, and she teaches and trains regularly in Suzuki and Viewpoints.

Assistant professor of ethnomusicology will be presenting on Bollywood vocalities 

Anaar Desai-Stephens, assistant professor of ethnomusicology at the Eastman School of Music, will be presenting on music from Bollywood films in her talk, “In Whose Voice? The Stakes of Bollywood Vocalities in Aspirational India.” The presentation will take place at 5 p.m. April 26 in the Iger Lecture Hall in the Whalen Center for Music. This talk examines the tensions over the vocal styles heard in Bollywood today and their implications for upcoming singers. While older producers of Bollywood songs ask the singer to emulate iconic singers of the past, many younger producers of Hindi film music are increasingly placing a premium on “new voices,” marked by distinct vocal timbres and the ability to “sing in your own voice.” Young singers attempting careers in the Bollywood music industry must negotiate competing injunctions to “sound like the original” and “sound like yourself.” 

Nature Rx teams up with Sustainability Week in self-care planting event

Nature Rx will be hosting a self-care planting event from 10 a.m. – 12 p.m. April 23 in the Campus Center main lobby. The plants potted during the event will be used in part for the Plants for Pills event, which will be taking place from 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. April 25 in the North Foyer of the Campus Center. The campus community will have the opportunity to trade any unused or outdated medications in exchange for a plant as a part of Medication Takeback Day and Sustainability Week. Visit Nature Rx’s website for more information about the planting event or contact [email protected] for questions regarding the Plants for Pills event. 

Passover Picnic to be held at Emerson Hall

Residence Assistant Noah Rosenzweig will host a Passover picnic from 4–5 p.m. April 23 behind Emerson Hall. During the event, there will be an abbreviated version of the Egyptian Exodus along with the traditions and customs that are commonly practiced. All food and drinks that will be provided are certified Kosher for Passover. Email Rosenzweig at [email protected] to RSVP. 

Join the Antiracism Institute for refreshments and conversation

The Antiracism Institute will be hosting a gathering from 3:30–5:30 p.m. April 24 in the Center for Faculty Excellence, Gannett 316. The event calls on past and present members of the institute to join for refreshments. The institute’s vision and mission are to establish a community that actively dismantles racism embedded in policy, pedagogy and person and to build communities of faculty and staff who are ready to dismantle systemic racism and white supremacy culture in their local contexts. Contact the Center for Faculty Excellence at [email protected] or 607-274-3734 for questions or accommodations.