$1520
$2000

$1520
$2000

College Briefs 4/1

Left+to+right%3A+Tisa+Manandhar%2C+Viviana+Beckford+and+Sherleen+Vargas+perform+at+the+Chaos+Pulse+Hip+Hop+dance+show+on+Sunday+March+31+in+Emerson+Suites.+
Mari Kodama
Left to right: Tisa Manandhar, Viviana Beckford and Sherleen Vargas perform at the “Chaos” Pulse Hip Hop dance show on Sunday March 31 in Emerson Suites.

Students encouraged to move off-campus cars for street cleanings

Ithaca College students that live off campus are encouraged to download and create an account with SIREN, the official mass notification system used by Tompkins County, to be notified when their street will be cleaned to move their cars. Street cleanings will go from April 1–29. Residents should know that if they park their car to watch for signs and to check their car daily to avoid getting ticketed or towed. The base fee for a tow in the City of Ithaca is $200 and the daily storage fee after the first 24 hours is $50 per day. The signs will display the date that the work will begin, and all vehicles must be removed from the street by 7 a.m. on that date. Vehicles may return to parking on the streets after the “No Parking” signs are removed by the Department of Public Works crew.

27th annual edition of FLEFF returns to the Finger Lakes

The Finger Lakes Environmental Film Festival (FLEFF) will be returning for its 27th year between April 1–14. There will be about 30 different events occurring on campus, downtown and on Zoom. The film festival will take place both on Ithaca College’s campus and downtown at Cinemapolis. The festival connects filmmakers from the wider community and from Ithaca College for dialogue, discourse and debate. The goal of the festival is also to bring awareness to environmental sustainability and the intersectionality within the subject. The 2024 festival’s theme will be “Turbulence.” FLEFF will have a new media exhibition called “Sustained Turbulence,” with a panel discussion via Zoom. More information can be found at ithaca.edu/fleff

Students applying for independent media internships encouraged to apply to the PCIM

The Park Center for Independent Media applications are open until April 15. The PCIM sponsors media students with stipends of up to $3,000. In recent summers, students have worked at many leading independent media organizations and progressive nonprofits such as FAIR, Democracy Now!, Mother Jones and the Institute for Public Accuracy.

Students are expected to work at the internship a minimum of 25 hours per week for at least eight weeks. Email applications to Hannah Brooks at [email protected]

CEO of Brown Harris Stevens to be keynote speaker for Professions Week 

Bess Freedman ’92 will be speaking at the college at 7 p.m. April 2, in the School of Business 111. Professions Week will run from April 1–5 and will allow students to hear and learn from alumni, faculty, staff and students in the School of Business. Freedman will be speaking as the 2024 Professions Week keynote speaker. Freedman is the CEO of Brown Harris Stevens and oversees more than 50 offices and 2,300 agents across New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Florida. Before entering real estate, Bess practiced law as an Assistant State’s Attorney in Montgomery County, Maryland, and worked at Legal Aid as an attorney fighting for the rights of underserved youth in New York City. She is a member of the Florida, Washington, D.C. and Maryland Bar and worked in New York pro hac vice. 

New Diversity course to be offered in Fall 2024

Early African American Musics and Concepts of Nation (MUNM 24100) will be offered in Fall 2024 Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9:25–10:40 a.m. and is a three credit course. The course can fulfill the Diversity requirement and has a Creative Arts designation. The course will be taught by Maya Cunningham. Cunningham graduated with a Bachelor of Music in jazz studies (voice) from Howard University and a Master of Arts degree in jazz performance from Aaron Copland School of Music at Queens College.

The course will explore early African American musics and group self-knowledge during the Antebellum and Reconstruction periods that indicate early African American conceptions of nation. 

TV Studies course offered Summer 2024

A new TV studies course, Electronic Media Criticism (TVR 33500-01) will be offered during the first session of Summer 2024. The course will be three credits and will run in person from May 29 to July 2 and will meet twice a week, on Mondays and Thursdays, from 5 to 8 p.m. The course is open to the entire campus and will satisfy students’ Writing Intensive and Diversity requirements. The course focuses on the representation of gender, race and sexuality on American television. Through lectures, readings and written assignments, the course will examine the dual role television plays in contributing to and challenging racism, sexism, homophobia and transphobia. The screening list includes “All in the Family,” “Atlanta,” “Brooklyn nine-nine,” “Dear White People,” “Ellen,” “Girls,” “Homeland,” “Insecure,” “Jane the Virgin,” “One Day at a Time,” “Parks and Recreation,” “Pose” and “The Sopranos.” Contact Dr. Stephen Tropiano [email protected] or at his office phone number at 323-851-6199.

InterFashional Night to be held in Emerson Suites

InterFashional Night will be held between 7–9 p.m. April 4 in Emerson Suites. The InterFashional night is a cultural event organized to celebrate all cultures. The celebration takes place in the form of dance and singing performances and the modeling of cultural wear. This year’s theme is Ethnic Elegance.” The event will be held by the college’s International club, which acts as a liaison between international students and domestic students. InterFashional Night is the club’s biggest event for the spring semester which is focused on informing and educating the student body about various cultures on the Ithaca College campus through fashion and style.

Career trip will bring participants to three local theaters 

The Ithaca Arts Career Discovery Trip will be held during the April break, from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. April 9. Participants are asked to meet in 101 Muller Faculty Center. Cooper Rothman, career engagement specialist in the School of Music, Theatre, and Dance, will be leading the trip. Participants will visit three of Ithaca’s local theaters: the Kitchen Theatre Company, the State Theater of Ithaca and the Hangar Theatre. Participants will have the chance to network, get an inside look at the arts industry and learn more about the arts scene right next to your campus. Lunch on the Commons will be provided. Space is limited and participants will be chosen based on their interest in a career in the arts. Email Rothman at [email protected] with any questions.