$1260
$2000

$1260
$2000

College Briefing: Feb. 5

Alumnus sees success in Super Bowl commercial
For the second year in a row, Ithaca College alumnus Jason DeLand ’98 battled for on-screen supremacy during the Super Bowl with his Budweiser commercial.

Last year, DeLand’s marketing agency created “Puppy Love,” which earned the top spot on USA Today’s Super Bowl Ad Meter. The commercial partnered a golden-lab puppy with the signature Clydesdales. This year, “Lost Dog” repeated the formula and received praise even before the Super Bowl when it was released online.

DeLand graduated from the Roy H. Park School of Communications and helped found his marketing agency, Anomaly, in 2004. American Express, Nike, Google and Procter & Gamble are just a few organizations among the company’s client list. DeLand also appeared on AdWeek’s “20 Most Influential People Under 40” list in 2012.

Sustainability Leadership Series to host discussion
Agricultural and engineering expert Ed Harwood will host a discussion from 6:45–8 p.m. Feb. 9 in the Dorothy D. and Roy H. Park Center for Business and Sustainable Enterprise Room 111. The presentation, titled “Seeking Resilience in Our Food System,” is part of the School of Business’ Sustainability Leadership Series.

Harwood, chief science officer, has worked in the agricultural and engineering fields for more than 30 years. He founded AeroFarms in 2004 as GreatVeggies LLC before commercializing with Cleantech Investment from 21 Ventures and The Quercus Trust in 2009. He was honored as a World Technology Awards Finalist for the Environment and a Clean Equity Monaco Runner-Up for Technology Research in 2011, and a Red Herring Top 100 North American Winner in 2010.

Earning his bachelor’s degree in microbiology and bachelor’s and master’s degrees in animal science from Colorado State University and his Ph.D. in dairy science minoring in artificial intelligence from University of Wisconsin-Madison, Harwood worked as Associate Director of Cornell Cooperative Extension for Agriculture responsible for supervising New York state agricultural extension education.

International conference accepts faculty paper
A paper by Lisa Barnard, assistant professor in strategic communication, was accepted for presentation at the 2015 International Communication Association Conference, which will take place May 21–25 in San Juan, Puerto Rico.

The paper, titled “The cost of creepiness: How online behavioral advertising affects consumer purchase intention,” is based on her dissertation.

The study tested behavioral advertising techniques, using reactance theory to show the effects of tailoring. The outcome showed while behaviorally targeted ads have a positive direct effect on purchase intention, exposure to behavioral tailoring also sets off an indirect negative effect on purchase intention that attenuates the positive direct effect.

Information Technology Services to send survey
Information Technology Services will participate in the 2015 Educause Center for Analysis and Resource Studies of Faculty and Students and Information Technology. ECAR surveys students annually about technology in higher education to help educators understand how students experience technology. The faculty survey will be administered Feb. 16–27 and the student survey March 20 to April 6. The surveys will be linked in an  email to a random sample of faculty and students. Participation is voluntary. Those who participated in the Techqual+ survey in October 2014 will not be asked to complete these surveys as well.

The survey will be combined with data from more than 150 institutions to help ITS and campus leaders better understand the usage and needs of technology on campus.

ITS administered the Faculty Survey on Instructional Technology in 2009, 2011 and 2013. This year, this biannual survey will be replaced by the ECAR survey.

Internship scholarship applications available
Applications for internship scholarships are now available and are due Feb. 23. These include the Class of 2008 scholarship and the Washington, D.C., scholarship.

The Class of 2008 will award their scholarship to a current freshman, sophomore or junior student who has an unpaid internship for the summer of 2015. The internship may be for credit, but does not have to be. The recipient must be in good judicial standing, have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 and demonstrate financial need as determined by the Office of Financial Aid.

The Washington, D.C., scholarship is also available for any current freshman, sophomore or junior student with good academic and judicial standing, a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher and demonstrated financial need. The student must have a paid or unpaid internship in the Washington, D.C., area for the summer of 2015.

Graduating seniors, international students and graduating seniors continuing in physical therapy or occupational therapy programs at Ithaca College are not eligible for these scholarships. Students who have full tuition, such as Park Scholars, or students who do not receive financial aid are also not eligible

$1260
$2000