$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

College Briefing: Oct. 23

IC professor to present at Queen Mary College
Chris Holmes, an assistant professor in the English department, was invited to give a lecture and help direct a seminar at Queen Mary College in the
University of London. Both will take place in the spring semester of 2015 and will focus work from, Nobel Prize–winning South African author J.M. Coetzee.
Holmes was appointed Visiting Scholar at Queen Mary and is expected to present a lecture as part of the Postgraduate Research Seminar series in February of next year.
In addition, he will co-direct a graduate class with Andrew van der Vlies, a senior lecturer at Queen Mary.

PKAL to host sessions regarding sustainability
The Project Kaleidoscope, or PKAL, Upstate Regional Network fall meeting at Ithaca College will be presenting events from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Nov. 1 in the Center for
Natural Sciences Room 208. The theme choice is enhancing student understanding of 21st century problem-solving through the use of questions with a sustainability theme
and a 
multidisciplinary approach. The methods should be applicable to making connections between the college’s Integrative Core Curriculum courses. Jason Hamilton,
professor and chair of the environmental studies and sciences department, and Thomas Pfaff, professor and 
director of the college’s honors program, will be speaking during
the morning session and will examine the need for 21st century problem solvers. They will also develop a framework for connecting disciplines through 
sustainability-themed questions.
Sessions during the afternoon will include participants working in multidisciplinary teams to create questions addressing the overarching sustainability-themed questions.The sessions
will also include a group discussion of barriers and solutions for implementing sustainability to the curriculum. A participant poster session will also be offered. For more information
about this event, participants should email [email protected].

Professor to discuss morality and technology
Laurence Thomas, professor of philosophy and political science at Syracuse University, will be hosting a discussion titled “Human Survival Versus Morally Upright Behavior:
Reflections on Our Evolutionary Makeup in the Spirit of Star Trek,” at 7 p.m. Oct. 29 in Clark Lounge in Egbert Hall. 
This talk will be part of the C.P. Snow 50th Anniversary lead-in events.
Thomas will consider human desires from the standpoint of the evolutionary theory and will also explore whether technology from the future will transform this clash.

Wind Ensemble places in national competition
The Ithaca College Wind Ensemble, which is conducted by Stephen Peterson, was awarded third place in the American Prize in Wind Ensemble Concert Band Performance college/university edition.
This competition is one of the newer, nonprofit national competitions designed to reward the best in performing arts. The Wind Ensemble plays eight concerts and will perform at the Lincoln Center in April.

Free tutoring sessions offered to all students
The Department of Modern Languages will now offer tutoring in various languages for students. The free sessions will be drop-in with no appointment necessary. In addition, a peer skilled in the
language they are representing will lead each one. The sessions will be held in the Language and Cultural Exchange Cooperative, or Job 209. The Arabic tutoring sessions will be held from 11:20 a.m.
to 1:30 p.m. on Wednesdays. German will be available from 2–3 p.m. on Tuesdays, along with Mandarin, which is from 2:30–3:30 p.m. and French, which is from 3–4 p.m. The French sessions
will also be available from 11 a.m. to noon on Fridays along with Italian, which will be at 1–2 p.m. and Spanish, which will be at the same time as the French session. Hebrew will be available from 4–5 p.m. on Thursdays.

SLI sessions for Block II available to IC students
The Student Leadership Institute sessions for Block II have been posted on OrgSync.com and are now available to all students.
In order to view all of the SLI’s postings, students must make sure that they are a member of the SLI Portal on the website.

$1495
$2000