$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

College Briefing: Sept. 4

Student Talking Circle accepting applications
The Diversity Awareness Committee has an initiative, Student Talking Circle, which will be led by professionals and provide a safe space for dialogue. The group will be made up of 16 racially and ethnically diverse people who will meet weekly for five weeks to share experiences and learn from others’ perspectives and attitudes. The Student Talking Circle will meet from 6 p.m. – 8 p.m. on Tuesdays, Sept. 23 – Oct. 21. Interested students will be able to complete an online application, available on Intercom. The DAC will select up to 16 students from the applicants.  Please email completed applications to [email protected].

LGBT series to include award-winning movies
The “Out of the Closet and Onto the Screen” film series at Ithaca College will start the year with the documentary “Off and Running,” the story of an adopted girl’s exploration of race, identity and family that threatens to distance her from the adoptive parents she’s always known. The film will be shown 7 p.m. Sept. 9 in Textor 101. The film is free and open to the public.
With white Jewish lesbians for parents and two adopted brothers — one mixed-race and one Korean — Brooklyn teenager Avery grew up in a loving household. But when her curiosity about her African-American roots grows, she decides to contact her birth mother.
Produced and directed by Nicole Opper, “Off and Running” was an audience favorite finalist at the Tribeca Film Festival, winner of the Outfest jury prize for outstanding documentary and winner of the Be’chol Lashon Media Award for excellence in portraying the ethnic and racial diversity of the Jewish people.
“Out of the Closet and Onto the Screen” is sponsored by the Ithaca College Center for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Education, Outreach and Services. The theme of this year’s series is “Intersectionality.” For more information, visit www.ithaca.edu/lgbt.

Faculty vaccine event postponed to Oct. 30
The Ithaca College flu vaccine “Point of Dispensing” event for all faculty and staff scheduled to take place Sept. 11 has been postponed because of a lack of vaccine availability. The new date for the POD exercise will be Oct. 30. This exercise will help prepare the college to respond to any event threatening the public health and safety of its faculty, staff and students.
Recently, college faculty and staff attended training on how to be prepared to respond to public health emergencies quickly by setting up a POD for the college community.
To try to practice these procedures, the college will hold its first ever POD Oct. 30 from 7 a.m. to noon at the Fitness Center to vaccinate staff and faculty against the seasonal flu. The POD is meant for all faculty and staff.  Flu shots are being offered to students by appointment at the Hammond Health Center or at separate student flu shot clinics, which will be announced at a later date. The Tompkins County Department of Health is partnering with the college for this event.

Senior week team asks for junior involvement
The Senior Week team is seeking three junior co-chairs to help plan Senior Week 2015. This is an opportunity specifically for any student interested in event planning. The junior co-chairs for the class of 2016 will assist the senior co-chairs in the planning and execution of Senior Week 2015 and in turn, Senior Week 2016.
Applications are due by the evening of Sept. 9. People with questions can contact seniors Greg Johnson, Alyn Obrien or Amanda Adams.

IC Alumus David Muir anchors for ABC news
As of Sept. 2, Ithaca College alumnus David Muir ’95 is ABC news’ top anchor for “World News.”
Muir began his career as a freshman on ICTV, Ithaca College’s television station.
He began working for ABC news in August 2003 where he anchored the night time news program, “World News Now.” By 2011 he was the only person that anchored the weekend editions, “World News with David Muir.”
Muir remains connected to the college by skyping students in the S’Park: Igniting your Future in Communications course and was the 2011 commencement speaker.

$1495
$2000