$1275
$2000

College Briefs April 21

Kalysta Donaghy-Robinson
Students, faculty and staff displayed their artwork in the ONWARD exhibit April 15 in the McDonald Lounge of the Ithaca College Campus Center. It was co-hosted by the Staff Council’s Employee Engagement Committee and the Tri-Council.

Participants needed for research survey conducted by students

Judith Pena-Shaff, professor in the Department of Psychology, and her research team of undergraduate students are conducting a study about the influence of culture and peoples’ well-being on social support and help-seeking behaviors among Latin American and Caribbean-born adults. The results of the study will help the research team learn about the differences in expectations and norms about relationships between someone and their social network, as well as whether these factors affect how and if individuals seek out and use available social support. This study is also being conducted to give undergraduate psychology students an opportunity to gain experience conducting research and presenting the findings at conferences. Individuals who agree to participate in the study will be asked to complete an online survey that will take about 30 to 60 minutes to complete. The survey consists of questions that will ask participants about their cultural values, subjective well-being, social-support behaviors and some of the respondents’ sociodemographic information. Participants are allowed to skip any questions they do not want to answer and are able to stop taking the survey at any time. None of the questions can be used to identify participants and will be completely anonymous. Some of the questions may induce anxiety or stress. Individuals are eligible to participate if they are at least 18 years old and were born in a Latin American or Caribbean country. The survey can be taken in English or Spanish and the link is available on Intercom.

Performance review period open for college employees to finish

The IC Performance Review Process is an annual opportunity for staff and supervisors to reflect on the accomplishments of the past academic year. The process is meant to be a way to celebrate career performance and identify ways to enhance professional development. The online 2021–22 fiscal year review process opened April 18 with a completion deadline set for June 3. The Performance Review Process can be accessed through Finance and HR Cloud. The college has sent out time frame guidelines to help with completion. The self-assessment should be done between April 18 and 29. The supervisor review should be completed between April 30 and May 20 and the review meetings and final feedback should happen between May 21 and June 3.

IC Second Stage to perform show this April titled ‘Next to Normal’

IC Second Stage will be performing its production of “Next to Normal” at 7:30 p.m. April 22 and 23 and at 2 p.m. April 24 in the Cherry Arts Space at 102 Cherry Street. Tickets are free but must be reserved prior to the performance. “Next to Normal” debuted on Broadway in 2009 as a pop-rock contemporary musical written by Brian Yorkey, an American playwright and lyricist. The musical was nominated for 11 Tony Awards that year and received a Pulitzer Prize in 2010. The IC Second Stage rendition of the musical is directed by senior Elizabeth Smith. “Next to Normal” is known for its complex portrayal of mental health disorders and treatments, specifically in the cases of bipolar disorder and depression. Individuals who require accommodations should contact Smith as soon as possible at [email protected].

County to change alert system for locals from Swift911 to SIREN

The Tompkins County Department of Emergency Response has announced that the county’s Safety and Incident Real-Time Notifications (SIREN) is now available to all residents within Tompkins County. In the near future, the new SIREN system will replace the current Swift911 mass notification system. SIREN is a free, real-time alert service that allows residents to receive alerts sent from local authorities. The alert system can send alerts through phone, text and email with updates of potentially hazardous situations such as weather, traffic and other emergencies. Anyone who was previously signed up for Swift911 will be automatically enrolled in the new SIREN system. Students are encouraged to utilize the service and can sign up by texting SIREN to 67283. Ithaca College has partnered with Rave Mobile Safety to offer the Emergency Notification System (ENS) to the campus community — which is an option similar to SIREN that also provides access to safety resources through the Rave Guardian mobile app. The college’s ENS service is also avail- able for campus visitors who are not current students, faculty or staff to receive an alert notification through text when the college sends out an emergency message via Rave. Individuals who would like to opt in to this service can text “ICVisitor” to 226787. To stop receiving the alerts, individuals can text “leave ICVisitor” to the same number.

College to give faculty workshop to improve summer sessions

The Learning and Innovative Technologies team has partnered with VoiceThread to present two one-hour workshops. Faculty who are teaching summer session courses are invited to attend the workshop, which will help faculty develop activities that build collaboration, community and engagement. Faculty will learn introductory VoiceThread skills and be walked through the basics using multiple examples from actual Canvas courses. There will be opportunities to ask questions throughout the session, which will cover the same topics as the first session, which was held April 20. The second session is at noon May 4. The sessions will be led by George Haines, an expert VoiceThreader, curricular designer and former educator. Those with questions can contact Jenna Linskens, director of Learning and Innovative Technologies, at [email protected].

$1275
$2000