$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

College Briefs April 7

Atticus Rubottom
Noah Sonie, a magician, mentalist and hypnotist, entertained a crowd of Ithaca College students at 8 p.m. April 5 in the Emerson Suites. Sonie gathered students to come up on stage, where they were enchanted by his mystifying skills.

College measures interest in trip to NYC during Cortaca Jug 2022

Ithaca College has released a survey in an effort to measure student interest in a trip to New York City centered around the 2022 Cortaca Jug game at Yankee Stadium. Survey responses will be collected up until April 15. The results of the survey will determine if the Cortaca 2022 Planning Committee will move forward with planning this sponsored weekend trip. The survey has eight questions to find what activities interested students would like to have included in the trip. The questions will also help determine a realistic price point that would make the trip affordable. The link to the survey can be found on Intercom or on the social media accounts of the planning committee.

Professor holds vocal workshop to teach vocal impression basics

The Center for Faculty Excellence hosts many trainings and workshops for faculty. Kathleen Mulligan, professor in the Department of Theatre Arts, is facilitating a short workshop to teach the basics of healthy vocal production, including breath support, tonal focus and optimal pitch. The workshop will be held from 3 to 4 p.m. April 19 in 316 Gannett Hall. The workshop is designed to improve attendee’s vocal impressions, which have a lasting effect on interactions with others. A positive vocal image can also build self-confidence and reduce fatigue. Those with questions or accommodation requests regarding this event are asked to contact [email protected].

Events raise assault awareness with education and discussions

April is sexual assault awareness month. The college’s Sexual Violence Prevention Committee (SVPC) has planned events and programs during this time to educate and raise awareness on sexual violence. So far, two events have been held: a community art project and a Q&A discussion with Jen Huemmer, assistant professor in the Department of Strategic Communication and creator of the “Good Girls Don’t Tell” documentary. The Office of Public Safety and Emergency Management is hosting a learning session about the Rave Guardian app on April 11 and again April 25. The app provides campus community members with many on-campus and off-campus support services and resources. The training will help attendees to learn how to operate the Rave Guardian app. Elyse Nepa can be contacted with any questions or requests for accommodations at [email protected]. During lunch April 12 SVPC will host a showing of the documentary “Miss Representation” as well as a discussion afterward on the movie’s content. This documentary explores the underrepresentation of women in positions of power and influence in America. The documentary challenges the media’s portrayal of powerful women. Individuals with any questions or requests for accommodations for this event can contact [email protected].

Bassist and pianist to come to IC as part of residency opportunity

The Angela and William Haines Young Concert Artists Residency supports the college’s in-residence teaching opportunities for the School of Music with recital performances, master classes, lectures, coaching, mentoring and feedback sessions. As part of this residency, the college is hosting celebrated double bass player Xavier Foley, accompanied by Kelly Lin on piano. This performance is free and open to the public. The concert is scheduled to begin at 8:15 p.m. April 6 in the Hockett Family Recital Hall of the James J. Whalen Center for Music. Masks will be required in the concert hall. Foley plans to play several of his own works as well as pieces by Bach, Bottesini and Vivaldi. For his music compositions, Foley was co-commissioned by Carnegie Hall and the Sphinx Organization for a new work titled “For Justice and Peace,” which was recently performed at venues including Carnegie Hall as part of a program intended to promote social justice. Lin is a collaborative pianist who has made regular appearances in New York at Carnegie Hall. Among many other accomplishments, Lin has served on the jury of the Steinway Society Competition and has been staff accompanist at Rutgers University. She is a pianist at the Juilliard School, the New School, Manhattan School of Music and Columbia University.

Student board members needed for the Student Conduct Board

The Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards is seeking student board members for the 2022–23 academic year. The student board member role is a one-year volunteer position. Selected students will take turns sitting in on hearing boards composed of faculty and staff board members. During the hearings, cases of alleged academic and non-academic misconduct will be reviewed. Board members are notified beforehand of when hearings are to take place and can participate based on individual availability. Typically, a student board member serves 1–3 times per semester. Individuals with disabilities requiring accommodations should contact the Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards at 607-274-3375 or email [email protected].

College offers summer internship to work for progressive media

The Park Center for Independent Media has a summer internship program that gives students the opportunity to work at some of the best independent and progressive media institutions and advocacy nonprofits in the country. In past summers, students have worked at organizations like FAIR, Democracy Now! and Mother Jones. The college awards financial stipends of up to $3,000 to help offset any costs that may come up during the internship, like food or transportation.

$1495
$2000