$1375
$2000

$1375
$2000

College Briefs Feb. 17

Kevin Yu
From Left, senior Resident Assistant Mackenzie Farrar and junior Esther Moore get ready to hand out Valentine’s Day goodies to Ithaca College students in the Campus Center for the Residence Hall Association.

LGBT Center wins history award from the GLBT Historical Society

The Ithaca College LGBT Center’s Ithaca History Tour has been awarded the Allan Bérubé Prize for outstanding work in public or community-based lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer history. The American Historical Association Committee on Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender History granted the college with the award. The prize is underwritten by the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender (GLBT) Historical Society in San Francisco, California.

Student wins jazz contest prize with music piece called Fireflies

Fireflies of Kobayashi by Masaya Taniguchi of Miyazaki City, Japan was named the winner for the 2021–22 David P. ’60 and Susan W. Wohlhueter Jazz Ensemble Composition contest at Ithaca College. Taniguchi won $1000 and is going to have their piece performed at 8:15 p.m. March 5 by Camille Thurman, guest saxophonist and vocalist, as well as the IC Jazz Ensemble. 

Leadership program to begin in March for women in college

The Women Leaders Series is a program that teaches a wide range of personal and professional development workshops for the college’s women leaders throughout the month of March. The program is run by the Office of Student Engagement. The leadership series is offering 13 different programs throughout March and students can register now on IC Engage. Students will get Student Leadership Institute credit after attending the workshops. There are also three special events like the IC Grief Retreat, the Women in Leadership trip to Seneca Falls and the Women of Distinction recognition ceremony. 

The workshops offered by the leadership program include: I Hate Networking; Thinking and Feeling: Gender Differences in the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator; Women in Sport Trivia; Starting a Podcast with Purpose; College Women are Stressed Out and Totally Exhausted; Flipping the Perspective on Self-Care; Closing the Gender Pay Gap: an Introduction to Salary Negotiation; A Binge-Worthy Laugh and Learn Comedy Special; What Are You Calling Toxic? Creating and Maintaining Friendships; and Know your competencies. The programs are free and are open to all current students at Ithaca College.

Leadership proposals due Feb. 21 for ideas regarding workshops

The Office of Student Engagement is looking for students, faculty or staff to submit proposals for presentations they would like to give included in leadership workshops. Presenters are able to pick a date and time for their workshop which will run 45–60 minutes long and decide if they would like to run it in person or virtually. Those who are interested must fill out a student leadership institute proposal form by Feb. 21. All workshops must fall under one of four categories: leading self, leading others, leading in a diverse world or leading at Ithaca College. For more information, faculty or staff can contact [email protected].

Students come second in contest for sport management study cup

Students in Ithaca College sport management and in the School of Business took second place in the 2022 Commission on Sport Management Accreditation case study cup competition. It was held Feb. 2–4 at the University of Houston. The IC Sport Management team was advised by Wonyul Bae, associate professor of sport management, and consisted of juniors Andrew Guerra and Tyler Ruck and sophomore Hudson Hassler. Guerra was the team captain. The competition involved developing a philanthropy plan for Houston area professional teams — Texans, Astros, Rockets and the Dynamos — and had to focus on improving an aspect of the team’s community relations in the Houston area. The group also presented to a panel about how the Houston teams could capitalize on their assets to benefit their community. 

Clothing drive taking donations for Southside Community Center

The Physician Assistant (PA) Program Class of 2023 is holding a winter comfort clothing drive now through March 1. Anyone who is interested in donating can drop off clothes at three locations: the PA program suite in Smiddy Hall on the third floor, Orangetheory Fitness and Scrubs ‘R’ Us. All sizes, kids to adult are needed and all donations will be given to the Southside Community Center for further distribution.

Artist to speak at virtual lecture series held by IC art department

Molly Zuckerman-Hartung will be speaking at an art lecture held virtually at 1:30 p.m. Feb. 17. It is a part of Ithaca College’s Department of Art visiting artist lecture series. Zuckerman-Hartung is the recipient of multiple awards and fellowships. Her work can be found at the Aspen Museum of Art; DePaul University Art Museum; the Museum of Contemporary Art; the Booth School of Business at the University of Chicago and the Walker Art Center.

Park student writing award open for submissions or nominations

The Roy H. Park School of Communications is seeking submissions for the 2022 Park School Student Writing Awards. Submissions of scholarly and creative writing by Park students will be accepted. The deadline for submissions is March 4. A panel of Park School faculty will judge entries through three categories: academic essay which has to be written for a Park course, journalistic article which must be written for a Park course or publication, or creative writing which must be a screenplay, teleplay or script that was written for a Park course. To be eligible one must be a current Park student for the 2021–22 academic year. The entries must have been written during Spring 2021, Summer 2021 or Fall 2021. Students can submit their own work but entries can also be submitted by a Park faculty member or student media director. Students must submit a short statement explaining which course or organization they wrote their work for. 

$1375
$2000