$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

College Briefs Jan. 26

Karel Husa, former lecturer and world-famous composer, dies

Karel Husa, a renowned composer who taught at the college, died Dec. 14 at age 95. Husa emigrated from Czechoslovakia through France and settled in Ithaca in 1954. In 1967, he was appointed lecturer in composition at the Ithaca College School of Music, where he taught until his retirement from teaching in 1986. Husa’s music has been performed by major ensembles around the world. His particularly well-known pieces are his scores of Music for Prague 1968, which was commissioned by the School of Music, and his Third String Quartet in 1968, which won the Pulitzer Prize in 1969. According to an Intercom announcement, at the time of his death, Husa was surrounded by his wife, four daughters and three grandchildren.

Brenda Hatch, former Facilities worker, dies following an illness

Brenda Hatch, a former member of the Office of Facilities team and campus community, died Jan. 13 following an illness. Hatch began working at the college in August 2007 and worked primarily on the third shift. Hatch was one of the first female Facilities employees to achieve the “elevated status” of facility attendant II in 2012, Timothy Carey, associate vice president of Facilities, stated in an announcement to the campus community. Carey stated that she was well-liked by her coworkers and was a “tremendous asset to the third shift team.” Carey said she valued her family more than anything and would always take the time to talk about her children and family. In the announcement, Carey invited community members to read her online obituary, posted on the Ithaca Journal. A memorial service was held Jan. 22, and donation opportunities are listed in the obituary.

Honors Program lounge space moves to new location in PRW

The Honors Program lounge, computer lab and offices have moved to a new space on the garden level of the Peggy Ryan Williams Center. The new space is larger than where it was previously located, on the second floor of the Muller Faculty Center. The new area includes a reception area, offices for the director and visiting international scholar, lounge and study areas, computer lab and a collaborative workspace for advising sessions and group projects. The lounge and computer lab will continue to have free printing and Honors students can access the lounge with their ID 24/7. There will be coffee, tea and cocoa in the lounge. The new office and reception area is in a shared suite with the Center for Civic Engagement, accessible through the door on the garden level of the PRW Center that faces Job Hall and the business school, and opens just below the Dillingham fountain.

New on-campus office to hold open house and celebration

The Office of Analytics and Institutional Research (AIR) is opening and will be holding an open house celebration Jan. 27 from 2 to 4 p.m. in the Enrollment Management suite on the second floor of the Peggy Ryan Williams Center. The Office of Analytics and Institutional Research is a reconfiguration of the former offices of Institutional Research and Enrollment Planning. It is led by Chief Analytics Officer Yuko Mulugetta; and Associate Directors Claire Borch and Cole Gruberth. Research Analysts Duane Corbin and Elijah Earl are responsible for IR-focused projects, while Research Analyst Peggy McKernan focuses on retention-related projects. The Office of AIR attempts to expand the college’s understanding of the student experience, student learning outcomes and student success. AIR also works with a wide range of constituencies to apply predictive analytics to inform decision making. At the open house, Mulugetta will offer a brief overview at 2:30 p.m., which will give the campus community an opportunity to see the breadth of data and analytics efforts across campus. The AIR team will be available to answer any questions and provide demonstrations.

Application Deadline for H&S scholars program approaching

Applications for the H&S 2017 Summer Scholar Program are due Feb. 13 at noon. The H&S Summer Scholar Program provides paid positions for H&S students in creative arts, humanities, social sciences and mathematics to engage full-time in a research, scholarship or creative inquiry project. Summer Scholars collaborate with a faculty mentor. This year, up to 20 students may receive a Summer Scholar award. All students with H&S majors are eligible to apply; financial aid eligibility is not a requirement for the program. Both scholars and mentors must submit proposals to the program. Proposals should showcase creative and thoughtful design, well-defined goals with feasible implementation plans and must provide evidence of plans for active mentoring. Successful proposals will express the student’s passion for pursuing the project. A 50-minute information session for interested students and faculty will be held at 4 p.m. on Feb. 1 in Business 301. For information on program requirements, as well access to online proposal forms, see the H&S Experiential Learning web profile.

$1495
$2000