$1520
$2000

$1520
$2000

College Briefs Jan. 31

Connor Lange/The Ithacan
Samantha McElhaney John sings with the Ithaca College Chorus at the MLK concert Jan. 25. The event was part of the college’s annual MLK Week celebration. The concert featured performances from the School of Music ensembles, students and faculty.

Ithaca College to host another ‘Brains in a Bar’ event this month

Provost La Jerne Cornish and Jason Freitag, presidential fellow for the provost and academic affairs, will be the featured speakers at the next “Brains in a Bar” event. The event will take place from 6 to 8 p.m. Jan. 31 at the Northstar House in Ithaca.

During the event, Cornish and Freitag will share their insights on the strategic planning process and give the community a better understanding of Ithaca College’s future.

Freitag said he hopes that by the time the process is complete, “people in the IC community will feel that they see themselves in this process and that the plan that results feels authentic and true to the strengths and hopes of the college.”

The event is open to everyone interested in attending but requires advanced registration on the college website. The college will pay for the first drink for those that register for the event.

Social Security Administration warns of fraudulent telephone calls 

Katie Sack, assistant director of employee engagement, posted a warning in Intercom that the Social Security Administration has become aware of reports of fraudulent telephone calls from individuals claiming to represent the SSA. In the calls, unknown callers are using threatening language to warn unknowing victims that they will be arrested or face other legal action if they fail to call a provided phone number or press the number indicated in the message to address this issue. In some instances, these unknown callers switch tactics and communicate that they want to help an individual with activating a suspended Social Security number. Such calls are scams.

The Studio to host third annual Ithaca film festival at Cinemapolis

The third annual Ithaca Student Film Festival, hosted by The Studio, will be held from noon to 5 p.m. Feb. 2 at Cinemapolis. The event will feature a talk by jury members and Ithaca College alumni Blake Horn ’13, a cinematographer, and Alexandra Rivera ’09, a producer. 

Screenings will run from 2 to 5 p.m. and will feature 13 short films by college students in all genres. Following that, there will also be a presentation of awards and an informal chat with this year’s jury and student executives. This event will be free and open to the public.

Case management department gets personnel change to start semester

Christine Wlosinski has become the new program assistant in the Department of Case Management effective Jan. 21. Wlosinski joined Ithaca College in the summer of 2018 and has been managing the Workflow process behind the scenes. Her role has expanded to handle all aspects of the leave and withdrawal process as of the start of Spring 2019.

Doreen Hettich-Atkins, director of Strategic Planning and Administration, who has been coordinating the leave of absence and withdrawal process since 2004, will continue to be involved as needed.

Requests for leave and withdrawals are filled out in the IC Workflow system. Requests to take a medical leave of absence go to the Hammond Health Center.

Department of Theatre Arts to host annual Wheels for Women Cabaret

The Department of Theatre Arts senior class will present its eighth annual “Wheels for Women” Benefit Cabaret at 7 p.m. Feb. 2 in the Clark Theatre in Dillingham Center. The cabaret will last approximately 75 minutes with an intermission and will feature music, poetry and dance performed by theater arts majors. The event will also include a raffle for professional theater tickets, local businesses like Gimme Coffee, and an auction for a homemade pie. The suggested donation is $10 for adults and $5 for students. Donations are tax deductible, and checks should be made out to Ithaca College with “Wheels for Women.”    

“Wheels for Women” works in partnership with the Sakhi Shelter for victims of domestic violence in Kerala, India, to provide shelter for residents and provide community members with the necessary training to become licensed auto rickshaw drivers, like taxi drivers in the U.S. 

College to host its 16th annual Women in Leadership Experience

Registration for the Women in Leadership Experience (WILE) will open Feb. 1. WILE will take place from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. March 23 in Seneca Falls, New York. It is open to all Ithaca College students.

This year, the event will focus on individuals’ personal stories and how those stories shape people. It will try to provide students with the tools they need to enact change. There will be a panel of female leaders sharing their experiences, a tour of a park and museum that tells the stories of challenges women have faced, an opportunity to shape an action plan and more. 

The event will be free and open to students at the college. It requires registration on the college’s website.

Sitting meditation event series kicks off semester in Muller Chapel

A sitting meditation event will take place at noon every Monday, Wednesday and Friday in Muller Chapel.  

$1520
$2000