$1375
$2000

$1375
$2000

College Briefs March 11

Caroline Brophy/The Ithacan
Alex Reynolds from Waid’s Honey stands at his booth, selling products like honey and candles March 6 at the Winter Farmers Market. The Winter Market is open 10:30 a.m.–2 p.m. each Saturday until March 27 at the Triphammer Marketplace.

Faculty invited to attend training in mental health first aid response

Ithaca College faculty are invited to attend a training in mental health first aid. This free 8-hour course is taught by an Ithaca College faculty member. Mental health first aid is the initial help offered to a person developing a mental health or substance use problem or experiencing a mental health crisis like suicidal behavior; non-suicidal self-injury; panic attacks; traumatic events; depression or anxiety; acute psychosis; substance use disorders; overdose or withdrawal. The first aid is given until appropriate treatment and support are received or until the crisis resolves. Participants in the workshop will learn risk factors and warning signs of mental health and substance use problems; information on recognizing depression, anxiety, trauma, psychosis and substance use; a 5-step first-aid action plan to help someone who is developing a mental health problem or is currently in crisis; available evidence-based professional, peer and self-help resources for mental health.

This course is sponsored by the Center for Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS), the Provost’s Office, and the Center for Faculty Excellence.

All sessions of the course will be held virtually on Zoom. The three sessions will be held 9 a.m.–4 p.m. March 13, April 3 and April 17.

To sign up, contact the Center for Faculty Excellence ([email protected]). For more information, email Rachel Wagner ([email protected]).

Research by OT graduate students to be celebrated with colloquium

Ithaca College community members are invited to attend a graduate research colloquium to celebrate Ithaca College occupational therapy graduate students’ research projects. The virtual event will be held 9 a.m.–3:30 p.m. March 22. 

Individuals who would like to request accessibility accommodations or are experiencing barriers to accessing technology are asked to contact [email protected] for assistance.

IC women’s mentoring network hosts series on trauma and stress

The Ithaca College Women’s Mentoring Network invites all faculty and staff to a two-part series: How Trauma and Toxic Stress Impact College Students presented by Renee Hettich ’87, licensed master social worker (LMSW). 

Both sessions of the series will take place virtually on Zoom. Part one will be held 12:10–1:05 p.m. March 11 and part two will be held 12:10–1:05 p.m. March 18.

The purpose of the Women’s Mentoring Network is to create a sense of community and belonging among anyone interested in empowering and uplifting women.

Part one of this seminar will define Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACE) and toxic stress, explore how these impact on students’ developing brains and bodies, and detail the resulting learning and behaviors differences that are typically exhibited in the college setting. Part two of this seminar will provide educators with prevention and intervention strategies that work to improve behavior and educational outcomes for stressed college students. 

Participation in both sessions is encouraged, though not required. Individuals can contact Julie Dorsey, associate professor in the Department of Occupational Therapy, at [email protected] for access to the recorded sessions, which will be available for a limited time. Contact Ivy Walz, associate professor in the Department of Performance Studies, at [email protected] with questions or requests for accommodations. 

Hettich graduated from Ithaca College with a degree in speech pathology and audiology. She continued her studies at the University of Pittsburgh where she obtained her master’s degree in audiology. Hettich works for the Adoptive and Foster Family Coalition of New York. She has published articles in national adoption magazines and is the author of the book “My Kids Know More Than Me! 15 life Lessons from Foster and Adopted Children.”

Hettich is also a speaker on topics like adverse childhood experiences, toxic stress and trauma’s impact on brain development, trauma-responsive services and resilience.

IC community members accepted to women in leadership institute

Two members of the college community have been accepted to attend the Higher Education Resource Services (HERS) Leadership Institute in the 2021–22 academic year. 

Jacqueline Winslow, director of New Student and Transition Programs, and Jana Waller, interim associate dean for the School of Health Sciences and Human Performance, were accepted to attend the intensive leadership professional development program

The Institute prepares faculty and staff in higher education to develop a broad understanding of their institutions and of higher education more generally, to network with other emerging and current leaders and to identify and design projects that can positively impact their campuses. The mentoring associated with the program aims to reduce the gender gap in higher education leadership.

$1375
$2000