$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

College Briefs March 24

From+left%2C+juniors+Talia+Fontanilla%2C+Allie+Lewis%2C+Emma+Clinton%2C+freshmen+Lily+Lipka+and+Jess+Williams+from+Ithaca+Colleges+Tone+Cold+A+capella+group+perform+covers+of+fun+and+familiar+songs+March+21+in+IC+Square.+
Maggie Bryan
From left, juniors Talia Fontanilla, Allie Lewis, Emma Clinton, freshmen Lily Lipka and Jess Williams from Ithaca College’s Tone Cold A capella group perform covers of fun and familiar songs March 21 in IC Square.

Technical writing course offered that fills curriculum requirements

The Department of Writing is looking for students to enroll in its course called Technical Writing. The course will be offered during Fall 2022 and Fall 2024. In Fall 2022, the course is scheduled to be held at 1:10 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays in Smiddy Hall Room 114. Technical Writing teaches students how to communicate technical, medical and scientific information. The course will cover the foundations of technical writing, formats and applications, context-specific writing strategies, basic visual design and ethics. It will also have students address challenges like job hunting, group work, institutional demands and market forces. This course fulfills the Writing Intensive requirement for the Integrated Core Curriculum and the professional writing concentration for writing majors. For more information, students can contact Anthony DiRenzo, professor in the Department of Writing, at [email protected]

Professor to guide meditation retreat for all levels of experience

Mary Ann Erickson, associate professor in the Department of Gerontology, will be guiding a seated and walking meditation retreat. Erickson is a certified Koru Mindfulness teacher. Both beginning and experienced meditators are welcome to attend between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. April 2 at the Muller Chapel. Individuals attending may bring their own cushions, but cushions will be provided to all participants. All attendees will also be given lunch. Students can sign up on IC Engage and anyone who has questions should contact Diana Dimitrova, director of international student and scholar services in the Office of International Programs and Extended Studies, at [email protected].

Writing contest accepting work of any type from student writers

The writing department is holding a writing contest for Spring 2022. Categories students can submit to are: poetry, short story, hybrid, humor and satire, creative nonfiction, nonfiction, feature and magazine, first-year essay, and personal essay or memoir. First- and second-place prizes will be awarded in each of these categories. There will be an awards ceremony in early May. Entries should be emailed to [email protected]Students with questions or concerns can reach out to Jim Stafford, assistant professor in the Department of Writing, at [email protected].

Professor publishes her artwork and displays it at public gallery

Patti Capaldi, assistant professor in the Department of Art, was published in the fifth issue of Message Journal, a University of Plymouth publication. The fifth issue features her work among other artists’ in a special edition that focuses on COVID-19 as well as visual reflections and insights of the current era. Capaldi’s work, titled “Drift,” is also displayed at Ithaca’s Community School of Music and Art.

Application deadline extended for Fall 2022 orientation leaders

The Fall 2022 orientation staff application deadline has been extended until 11:59 p.m. March 30. Being an orientation leader is a two-week paid position. Orientation is held from Aug. 16 to 21 and staff training is the week prior. The Office of New Student and Transition Programs will provide orientation leaders with early arrival campus housing and meals. Any current student that is attending the college during Fall 2022 is eligible to apply. Students with questions or concerns can email [email protected].

College to hold campus club fair for admitted students in April

The Office of Admission is holding a student organization fair during Ithaca Today, a program for admitted students held in April. The fair is from 11:45 a.m. to 1 p.m. April 8 and 9. Student organizations can take part in the fair and begin recruiting new students. Any campus clubs interested in participating are encouraged to email [email protected] to reserve a spot for one or both days. Individuals requiring disability accommodations can call 607-274-3124 with the extension number: 4-1080.

College seeks students for panel about involvement with clubs

The Office of Admission is looking for student volunteers to take part in panels during the Ithaca Today admitted student program in April. The fair’s events are from 10:30 to 11:45 a.m. April 8 and 9. Ithaca Today volunteers will be asked to answer questions about themselves and their involvement with organizations at the college. All volunteers will be given a $10 GrubHub gift card in exchange for their time. Individuals with questions or requests for accommodation should reach out to Cara Cirino, admissions counselor in the Office of Admission, at [email protected].

Office assistant position open for students seeking summer job

The Office of Residential Life is accepting applications from students looking to work as an office assistant in East Tower or Circles Community Center during summer 2022. If hired, a student office assistant would provide front desk coverage by answering phone calls, guiding students through the housing experience, directing inquiries and completing special projects assigned to them. Interested students are required to apply for the job through the student employment portal. Individuals with disabilities that require accommodations can contact Kasey Huddle Spada, administrative operations coordinator in the Office of Residential Life, at either [email protected] or 607-274-3141.  

$1495
$2000