$1375
$2000

$1375
$2000

College Briefs Nov. 17

Grace Vanderveer
Senior Anthony Boccia performs an improvised skit suggested by audience members with The Acahti Players Improv Comedy Troupe during their “Acahti Eats Lunch on a Steel Beam” show Nov. 11 in the Hill Center room 104.

Updates to Windows computers will take place in January 2023

Beginning in January, the Office of Information Technology (IT) will be updating all college-owned computers with the Windows operating system to Windows 11. The upgrade will take 15–30 minutes to complete and can be delayed up to 14 days after receiving the initial option to upgrade the computer. Individuals who are impacted by this will receive additional information. In order to make the transition to the new system easier, IT will set up demo computers for faculty and staff, host workshops, share instructional videos, create articles in Intercom and host review sessions, all so people can get familiar with the new system.

Article discussing film in Cuba published by Spanish professor

Enrique Gonzalez-Conty, associate professor in the Department of World Languages, Literatures, and Cultures, published the article “Memories of Overdevelopment: Subverting the Cuban Revolutionary Filmic Archive” in the journal Black Camera, which is created by the Indiana University Press. The article appeared in the Volume 14, No. 1 issue in Fall 2022. The article is about the history of film in Cuba and its use to challenge prevailing ideas about the Cuban Revolution.

MLK program t-shirt design contest accepting submissions

The MLK Celebration Committee has begun accepting submissions for the 2023 MLK Celebration T-Shirt Design Contest. Individual students or student organizations can submit designs that may be chosen to be featured on the shirts given to attendees of the MLK Celebration Week in February 2023. Designs can be submitted via the form on Intercom before 11:59 p.m. Dec. 2, and the winner will be announced before winter break. Anyone with questions should contact Jess Shapiro, assistant director in the Office of Student Engagement and MLK committee member, at [email protected].

Department of Biology to offer winter course on history of Earth

The Department of Biology will be offering the course From the Big Bang Theory to Jurassic Park – Origins of Life on Earth during the winter session. The course will answer questions like how life on Earth began, what the big-bang theory is, how mass extinctions have shaped earth and what the relationship is between dinosaurs and birds. The course will be taught by Nandadevi Cortes Rodriguez, assistant professor in the Department of Biology, and will be offered during the third winter session from Jan. 9 to 20. The course fulfills the Integrative Core Curriculum natural sciences requirement for the Inquiry, Imagination, and Innovation and World of Systems themes.

Academic schedule to change leading into final exam period

During the week of Dec. 5 through Dec. 9, there will be multiple changes to the academic schedule. On Dec. 6 Thursday classes will be held, on Dec. 7 Friday classes will be held, on Dec. 8 there will be a reading day, and at 7:30 a.m. Dec. 9 final exams begin. Reading Day is a day that students can use to study for exams and classes will not be held. Professors can choose to hold study sessions or office hours on Reading Day, but they cannot assign mandatory meeting times for students. Individuals with questions should contact the Office of the Registrar at [email protected].

College seeks information about activities for health and wellness

The JED Campus Initiative will be hosting Stop & Breathe Week Dec. 1 through Dec. 7. The week is an opportunity for mental health and wellness-promoting events. The JED Campus Initiative is looking for submissions for this year’s programming. Anyone planning to offer related events during this week can submit them to the organization to be included in the Stop & Breathe Week communications. Some examples of appropriate activities include meditation, yoga, music, crafts and support groups. Anyone with questions about Stop & Breathe Week should email Cathy Michael, JED Mental Health Awareness Subcommittee co-chair and communications librarian, at [email protected] or sophomore Rachel Ng, JED Mental Health Awareness Subcommittee co-chair, at [email protected].

Applications are open for Spring 2022 admissions host positions

The Ithaca College Office of Admission is recruiting students to serve as Admissions Host Committee tour guides for Spring 2023. Admission Hosts help with student recruitment by hosting tours of the college. They are some of the first people prospective students meet and must be good and knowledgeable representatives of the college. First-year students, sophomores or juniors can apply to the position. Applications are due Nov. 28.

$1375
$2000