$1375
$2000

$1375
$2000

College Briefs Oct. 27

Junior+Carolina+Iribarren+fills+out+a+bingo+card+during+Boo+Bingo+Night+on+Oct.+22+in+IC+Square%2C+which+was+hosted+by+the+Office+of+Student+Engagement+and+was+open+for+all+students+to+attend.+Students+received+food+and+prizes.+
Maddy Tanzman
Junior Carolina Iribarren fills out a bingo card during Boo Bingo Night on Oct. 22 in IC Square, which was hosted by the Office of Student Engagement and was open for all students to attend. Students received food and prizes.

Director of Facilities Services at Ithaca College left Oct. 17

Eric Nichols, director of Facilities Services, left the college Oct. 17. He accepted a position at Cornell University, as the director of Facilities for the College of Human Ecology and Brooks School of Public Policy. Nichols has worked at the college since November 2015. During the search process to replace Nichols, Ernie McClatchie, executive director of Facilities Grounds and Transportation, and Hana Holman, administrative and work control assistant in the Office of Facilities, will be taking on the responsibilities of Nichols position.

College hosts 5k event to raise awareness for domestic violence

In an effort to raise awareness for Domestic Violence Awareness month, the Office of Public Safety and Emergency Management is hosting the first annual IC Runs Purple 5k on Oct. 29. Registration for the 5k starts at 8:15 a.m. until 8:45 a.m. near Kostrinsky Field and Terrace 13. After registration, the run will start at 9 a.m. Attendees can walk or run the 5k, which will lead them through the Natural Land trails at Ithaca College, and any minors who participate need to be accompanied by their parent or guardian throughout the event. All of the money raised from this event will be donated to the Advocacy Center of Tompkins County. The Advocacy Center is the only organization in Tompkins County that offers domestic and sexual violence services. Throughout the month of October, the college has held prevention education programming, workshops and campaigns all in an effort to increase the campus community’s understanding of domestic violence. The 5k will conclude a month of events and conversations about domestic violence.

Career services staff member leaves college for new position

Jennifer Pawlewicz ’95, career engagement and marketing specialist in the Office of Career Services, departed from the college to begin a new position at Cornell University on Oct. 17. Pawlewicz worked at the college for five years, beginning in August 2017. Pawlewicz’s new position is within the School of Industrial and Labor Relations at Cornell University.

Staff Council announces winners for Fall 2022 walking challenge

The Staff Council announced the top three Step Challengers for Fall 2022. The Step-Tember challenge is a staff activity where optional group walks are led by Sarah Shank, interlibrary loan borrowing coordinator, in the Natural Lands. The walks were held on Wednesdays every week in September during the noon hour as a way for staff members to connect with each other and be active. Every week, participants were also asked to submit their step count to calculate top walkers. Doreen Hettich-Atkins, executive director in the Office of Student Affairs and Campus Life, is the gold medalist; the silver medalist is Kelsey Pudney, counselor in the Center for Counseling, Health and Wellness; and the bronze medalist is Rebecca Creamer, counselor in the Center for Counseling, Health and Wellness.

Learning opportunity for faculty to observe colleague’s classes

During the week of Nov. 7 the Center for Faculty Excellence (CFE) is giving faculty the opportunity to visit their colleagues’ classrooms as a way to learn new teaching skills. Visitors can observe how the hosting professor engages students, addresses challenging topics and much more. The goal of the opportunity is not to critique teaching or collect feedback. It is a chance to build community around teaching and learn from others. Instructors from each school at the college will be offering visitors to come to their classrooms. Visitors can choose from over 50 class sessions, which can be viewed and signed up for on the Faculty Hub website. Individuals with questions can contact Marilyn Dispensa, senior instructional designer for CFE, at [email protected] or the CFE at [email protected].

Registration to remain at college over November Break open now

The deadline to register for housing over the November Break period is 5 p.m. Nov. 17. Students who register to stay on campus will stay in their Fall 2022 housing assignment. The registration form is available on IC Workflow and more information is on the Residential Life Break Occupancy website. Break housing will begin at noon Nov. 19. There will be limited services available from Nov. 19 until Nov. 27., including fewer staff in the Office of Residential Life. Students staying on campus during break who want to contact the Resident Assistant (RA)-on-duty can refer to the RA schedule posted on the main entrance doors to each residential building. The Office of Public Safety will stay open with its normal times. Regular campus services will be operational again starting noon Nov. 27.

Professor awarded by Fulbright Association at annual conference

Kathleen Mulligan, professor in the department of Theatre and Dance Performance, received the Outstanding Chapter Leadership award for 2022 at the 45th annual Fulbright Association Conference which took place Oct. 6 through Oct. 9. Mulligan is president of the Central New York chapter of the Fulbright Association and gave both a presentation and performance at the event. Mulligan will begin a Fulbright project in Amritsar, India, in December 2022.

$1375
$2000