$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

College Briefs Oct. 6

On+Oct.+1%2C+La+Jerne+Cornish+was+inaugurated+as+the+10th+president+of+Ithaca+College+at+the+Athletics+and+Events+Center.+The+celebration+involved+a+day+of+events+and+the+School+of+Music%2C+Theatre%2C+and+Dance%E2%80%99s+first+annual+showcase.+
Xiaoyi Zhang
On Oct. 1, La Jerne Cornish was inaugurated as the 10th president of Ithaca College at the Athletics and Events Center. The celebration involved a day of events and the School of Music, Theatre, and Dance’s first annual showcase.

College hosts business event for interested entrepreneurs

The Center for Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Social Change (IDEAS) will host a business expo for students of color at 4 p.m. Oct. 7 in the African Society Lounge in West Tower on the concourse floor. The event will feature participating businesses run by Ithaca College students of color, including The Universal Experience, Mali Kutz, Mamaz Boy Entertainment, Wigs by Dams and Dami Love. Attendees will learn about the businesses and business owners and following the event, students can stay to play games and meet other students. Individuals who need accommodations can contact Kerdelma James, program coordinator for the Center for IDEAS, at [email protected] or 607-274-7777.

Employees able to attend expo to learn about employee benefits

The college is hosting an in-person faculty benefits expo from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Oct. 11 in Emerson Suites and a virtual expo from 12 to 2 p.m. Oct. 13 to give employees an opportunity to learn about the benefits available for 2023. At the event, employees can meet some of the benefits providers and learn about them ahead of the open enrollment period for 2023, which begins Oct. 17. To attend the virtual session, a QR code can be found on Intercom.

Students asked to write letters thanking scholarship donors

The deadline for 2022-23 scholarship recipients to write a letter thanking the donors who provided their scholarship funds is Oct. 15. Many scholarships that Ithaca College students receive are provided by individual benefactors and the college asks that scholarship recipients thank these individuals. Students should email their letters in PDF format to Kerrianne Blum, assistant director of donor relations in the Office of Philanthropy and Engagement, at [email protected].

SGC gets students ready to vote with registration and ballot drive

The Student Governance Council is hosting a voter registration and absentee ballot application drive Oct. 6 and 11. President La Jerne Cornish has also signed the All In Challenge Commitment — from the All In Campus Democracy Challenge’s initiative — to increase nonpartisan civic learning, political engagement and voter participation.

Lecturer works to improve hiring process by teaching about bias

The Center for Faculty Excellence is scheduled to host an event to discuss unconscious bias in the interview process. The event will be from 12 to 1 p.m. Oct. 11 in the Center for Faculty Excellence and will be facilitated by Belisa González, director of Faculty Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging. The event, titled “Identifying and Mitigating Unconscious Bias in the Interview Process,” is a training session that will guide attendees through how to identify unconscious bias and accept how it can impact decision making by learning about neuroscience, types of bias and how to mitigate it. The workshop is open to anyone involved in any hiring process or interested in the topic. Individuals interested in attending should RSVP on IC Engage. Individuals who need accommodations should contact Colette Matisco at [email protected] or 607-274-3734 as soon as possible.

IC course catalog opening soon for winter and spring scheduling

Students can view the course catalogs for Winter 2023 and Spring 2023 beginning at 12 p.m. Oct. 17. The registration times for individual students will be available at 12 p.m. Oct. 19. Registration times can be found on HomerConnect under registration notices. Because time tickets for students are determined by number of credits completed, students should prepare by ensuring any transfer credits have applied to their account, complete any changes to majors, minors or concentrations and verify that grades from Block 1 are submitted. Registration will occur Oct. 31 for winter courses and between Nov. 1 and Nov. 10 for undergraduate students and Nov. 30 for graduate students in the physical therapy program. Tutorials for registration can be found on Intercom. Students with questions should contact their academic adviser or the advising representative for their school.

College seeks help for February MLK event celebration planning

The Ithaca College MLK Celebration Committee is looking for additional students, faculty and staff to help plan celebrations for Martin Luther King Day. Celebrations will take place between Feb. 6 and Feb. 10, 2023. Committee members will help plan and organize events and collaborate with other groups on campus. Planning meetings will be held from 2 to 3 p.m. on Wednesdays throughout Fall 2022. Individuals with questions or who would like to join can contact the Center for IDEAS at [email protected].

Families invited to Autumn Fest for children of faculty and staff

The Circles Apartments will be hosting its second annual Autumn Fest for the children of faculty and staff from 5 to 7 p.m. Oct. 23. The event will include many activities for kids, including trick-or-treating, pumpkin painting and Halloween tattoos. Upon arrival, families can park in front of the Circles Community Center and check in to learn which apartments will be hosting trick-or-treaters. There will also be a food drive for the college’s food pantry. Anyone interested in attending should register on Engage. Anyone requesting accommodations should contact Laura Bonerbo at [email protected] or 607-274-1474.

$1495
$2000