$1375
$2000

$1375
$2000

College Briefs Sept. 29

Ana Gavilanes
Adele, a puppy in training for Guiding Eyes for the Blind, takes a break at a recap class Sept. 26 in Textor Hall at Ithaca College. All dogs in the college’s program gathered to go through exercises and play with one another.

PA program to host a workshop for teenagers on medical careers

The Ithaca College Physician Assistant (PA) program is hosting a workshop for middle and high school students of color who are interested in a career in medicine. This interactive workshop is from 9 a.m. until 2 p.m. Oct. 8 at the Downtown Campus on The Commons. The sessions will give students the opportunity to learn more about the PA profession. The sessions will include a discussion about “a day in the life of a PA student,” a skills block, a lunch and learn panel, and a suture clinic. The skills block will provide teachings on how to perform EKGs, vitals and aseptic technique and use a cardiac station. The PA team will provide lunch for all the students who attend. Individuals with questions can contact senior Brittny Dawkins at [email protected]. Those with disabilities who need accommodations can contact Jessica LeMore, didactic support coordinator in the PA program, at [email protected] or 607-274-7008.

Conversation with Ithaca College Board of Trustees held Sept. 30

The Ithaca College Board of Trustees is holding an in-person conversation session for all members of the campus community from 4 to 5 p.m. Sept. 30 in Clark Lounge in the Campus Center. Questions and comments during the event will be answered by board of trustees Chair David Lissy ’87 and Vice Chair James Nolan ’77. During this time, Lissy and Nolan will reflect on the annual Fall 2022 Board Meeting and any plans for the academic year as well as answer questions from the audience. Those with disabilities requiring accommodations should contact Tammy Sritecha, assistant to the vice president and secretary to the board in the Department of Legal Affairs, at [email protected] or 607-274-3378.

Participants wanted to discuss self-compassion and criticism

Mary Ann Erickson, associate professor in the Department of Health Promotion and Physical Education, and students in the course Mindfulness Across the Lifespan are hosting a discussion group for the college community to practice self-compassion. The goal of the group is to allow attendees to be less critical of themselves. Sessions will be held Mondays from 10 a.m. to 10:50 a.m. from Oct. 17 through Nov. 7. Individuals interested in participating should register through the form on the Gerontology Institute website. Individuals who need accommodations can contact Karen Brown, program manager in the Department of Health Promotion and Physical Education, at [email protected] or 607-274-1607.

Retired professor hosts art show on interconnection with nature

Carla Stetson, retired associate professor in the Department of Art, was the 2021 Southern Tier Biennial Exhibition Best in Show winner. Now, she will be displaying her art in a solo exhibit called Knots, Webs, and Entanglements. The exhibit will take place from Sept. 30 to Oct. 29 at the Tri-County Arts Council in Olean, New York. In her work, Stetson explores the natural world through themes like humanity’s dependency on “insignificant” creatures and species extinction.

Lecturer to give a presentation on decolonizing the classroom

Israel Dominguez, a visiting guest lecturer, will be facilitating a talk on decolonizing the undergraduate classroom from 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. Oct. 6 in Gannett 316. The workshop is sponsored by the Center for Faculty Excellence and the Office of Faculty Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging. The target audience is instructors in higher education in order to help build their ability to create discussions about decolonization and apply the concepts in teaching environments. Individuals who are interested can RSVP on the IC Engage website. Those with disabilities who require accommodations should contact Colette Matisco at [email protected] or 607-274-3734 as soon as possible.

Office of Student Engagement seeks clubs for organization fair

The Office of Student Engagement is hosting a student organization fair where students can promote their clubs, recruit members and advertise upcoming events. The fair is from 5 to 8 p.m. Oct. 4 in Emerson Suites in the Campus Center. To table at this event, a student organization is required to be recognized in an official capacity by the Office of Student Engagement. If there is a club or organization that has not been officially recognized but would like to participate, there is a recognition process available to review on the Ithaca College Website under the Office of Student Engagement section. Student organizations can sign up for the event on IC Engage. If groups need assistance in being recognized as an official club, they can contact [email protected].

Center for Creative Technology hosts a video editing workshop

The Center for Creative Technology (CCT) is holding a video editing workshop from 3 to 4 p.m. Oct. 3 in Job Hall 102, where the Center for Creative Technology room is. The instruction session will teach attendees how to use Adobe Rush and will be led by members of the CCT team. Those who are interested can sign up on Ithaca College Intercom. Individuals with questions or concerns can contact the Department of Information Technology’s Center for Creative Technology at [email protected].

$1375
$2000