$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

Bomber Roundup 11/15–11/20

Men’s Cross-Country

The men’s cross-country team placed ninth out of 39 teams at the NCAA Atlantic Region Championships on Nov. 16, hosted by SUNY Geneseo at Letchworth State Park in Mt. Morris, N.Y. The squad tallied 265 points.

Six of the Bombers’ top seven finishers raced to season-best times on the 8K course. Rookie Sean Phillips clocked in at 26:03.30 with a 38th-place finish out of 275 runners, just missing All-Region honors.

Sophomore Sawyer Hitchcock placed 51st with a time of 26:13:10, and junior Dennis Ryan finished at 56th with a time of 26:20:10. Junior Steve Derderian and senior

Sam Horwath rounded out the top seven finishing at 27:10:80 and 27:37:40, respectively. The top five Bombers finished within 26.7 seconds of one another.

The team finished out its 2013 season as the Empire 8 Conference champions for the fourth straight year.

Women’s Soccer

The women’s soccer team advanced to the Sweet 16 round of the NCAA tournament for the third year in a row, beating Penn State–Behrend and Rowan University on Nov. 16–17.

The Bombers used early leads to push past the Lions and the Profs. In the first round game against Penn State–Behrend, sophomore midfielder Kelsey King scored in the first minute of the game en route to a 3–0 win against the Lions. Freshman midfielder Taylor Baranowsky scored in the 14th minute, and King netted her second goal of the day to cap the team’s win.

Against Rowan, senior defender Anna Gray scored off a free kick in the 28th minute to give the Blue and Gold the victory, 1–0. The Bombers will face No. 9 Messiah College in the third round of the tournament on Saturday.

Women’s Basketball

The No. 13–ranked women’s basketball team opened the 2013–14 season with a 71–60 win against the William Smith College Herons in Geneva, N.Y.

Senior guards Kathryn Campbell and Mary Kate Tierney were the top two scorers in the contest, scoring 18 and 16 points, respectively. Tierney also added her career-best 14 rebounds and three steals. She currently leads the squad in both categories. Junior guard Samantha Klie scored 13 points and added four rebounds, four assists, two steals and two blocks for an all-around performance.

The Bombers were able to handle the Herons well, ending the game ahead in most statistical categories including rebounds, steals, turnovers and blocks. The Blue and Gold secured an 11-point victory, despite shooting 1–14 from beyond the arc.

The Bombers resume play Nov. 23 when they travel to Amherst, Mass., to take on the Farmingdale State Rams.

Wrestling

The wrestling team was victorious in its first two meets against Rhode Island College and Alfred State College at the Oneonta Duals on Nov. 16. The Bombers defeated Rhode Island College 30–6 and then shutout Alfred State 50–0, the team’s 25th dual-meet shutout in program history.

The Bombers claimed victory in eight of the 10 weight classes in their win against Rhode Island. At the start of the match, 125-pound junior Anthony Cabrera defeated  Samuel Comfort by major decision, 13–1. At 133 pounds, junior Alex Gomez defeated Damen Patisual 12–4 in another major decision. Empire 8 rookie of the week, freshman Carlos Toribio, continued to his perfect record with a pin against Robert Sotelo.

The Bombers recorded five pins, four major decision wins and one tech fall in their dual with Alfred State. The pins came from freshmen Jimmy Kaishian, Nick Wahba, Steven Sabella and Matt Booth at 125, 141, 184 and 197 pounds, respectively, and sophomore Eamonn Gaffney at 141 pounds.

The Blue and Gold wrestle at Cornell University on Saturday to compete in the New York State Championships.

Men’s Basketball

The men’s basketball team fell in its 2013 season debut to Haverford College 77–67 in the Equinox Classic on Nov. 15. Senior guard Chris Jordan gave the Bombers the first points of the game. In a losing effort, senior center Tom Sweeney led the Blue and Gold with 17 points and seven rebounds.

On Nov. 16, the Blue and Gold took on Swarthmore College. The Bombers were able to pull out a 60–51 win against the Garnets. Senior forward Frank Mitchell played well, coming up with 23 points and 10 rebounds to become the first Bomber to record a double-double game since last season.

The Blue and Gold were back in action on Nov. 19 when they took on the SUNY Oswego Lakers. The South Hill squad fell 99–73. Mitchell notched 18 points to go along with nine boards, leading all Bomber players in those categories.

Overall, the South Hill squad finished with a 1–2 record on its first road trip of the year. The Bombers will travel to take on Hobart College on Friday and Wells College on Saturday before Thanksgiving break.

$1495
$2000