$1260
$2000

$1260
$2000

IC swimming and diving teams host first meet of season

TEDDY ZERIVITZ/THE ITHACAN
Sophomore Rachel Smertz races in the women’s 100-yard backstroke Oct. 29 in the Athletics and Events Center. She placed fifth with a time of 1:04.31.

In their first home meet of the season, the Ithaca College men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams competed against Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute on Aug. 29 in the Athletics and Events Center. The women’s team came out victorious, defeating RPI 180–120 while RPI defeated the men’s team 201–93.

The first event of the day was the women’s 200-yard medley relay, where the Bombers competed in lanes one, three, five, seven and nine. Seniors Grace Ayer, Sam Reilly, Lake Duffy and sophomore Jaclyn Pecze placed first to give the Blue and Gold the early lead.

In the men’s 200-yard medley relay, freshmen Jack Lacy and Andrew Mikhailichenko, sophomore Aaron Levin and senior Adam Zelehowsky placed second.

In men’s 200-yard freestyle, Zelehowsky placed first in what turned out to be a blowout, after being neck and neck with the two swimmers at his sides for a large portion of the race. In the last length, Zelehowsky pulled ahead to claim victory.

Freshmen Josie Berman, Paige Landers and Justine Wantz, sophomore Rachel Smertz and Ayer competed in the women’s 200-yard backstroke. Ayer took first and Wantz took second for the Bombers.

Freshman Emily Altchiler came in second place in the women’s 200-yard individual medley. The  men’s highest finisher in the 200-yard individual medley was freshman Matt Quinney, who came in second place.

The day finished with the 400-yard freestyle relays. In the women’s race, the team of sophomore Genevieve Tripler, Pecze, Duffy and Ayer placed first for the Bombers.

In the men’s 400-yard freestyle relay, when sophomores Aaron Levin and Kellen Scanlan, senior Connor Schroyer and Zelehowsky placed second.

Senior diver Nickie Griesemer took the top spot in the women’s 1-meter and 3-meter events.

The Bombers will face off against SUNY Cortland at 1 p.m. Nov. 5 in Cortland, New York.

$1260
$2000