$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

Women’s lacrosse picks up conference win over Saints

THOMAS KERRIGAN
Bombers’ sophomore attacker Hayley Armstrong competes for a ground ball against sophomore defender Brigette Gable. Armstrong notched four assists on the contest.

There was a rush of adrenaline at Higgins Stadium on March 24 as the Ithaca College women’s lacrosse team faced one of its toughest competitors in the St. Lawrence University Saints and came out on top with a final score of 14–12.

In the first quarter, the game was somewhat slow. Both teams were playing strong offensively and defensively. Outside of an early goal by Bombers junior attacker Maizy Veitch, the game stayed close until halfway through the frame. 

Alongside Veitch was junior midfielder Sydney Phillips, who was able to score twice for the Bombers in the first quarter. The quarter ended with a score of 6–2 and the Bombers leading.

Within the second quarter, St. Lawrence picked up strength and started making more runs down to the net. The Saints started being aggressive, earning the second of six yellow cards in the game during the second frame.

The Bombers had the upper hand in the first half. With the team’s speed and agility, it was able to have eight free-possession opportunities, where junior midfielder Caroline Wise and junior attacker Chloe Nordyke were able to score for the Bombers. By halftime, the Bombers were leading 8–3

In the second half of the game, the Bombers got tired. They were still able to score, bringing the lead to six points by the end of the third quarter, but the Saints played very tough.

Phillips started the half strong for her team by scoring another two goals within the first six minutes of the quarter. A strong fourth quarter by the Saints, where they scored six goals, nearly brought them back into it, but the Bombers held on for the win.

First-year student defender Phoebe Hosford explained that although the score sheet made the game look close, she was happy with how her team played.

“I think overall the game went very well,” Hosford said. “And I mean we ended up with a victory, but [St. Lawrence] played very well and we were thankful to pull out a win.”

The Bombers have their next game at 3 p.m. March 25 at Higgins Stadium against Clarkson University.

$1495
$2000