$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

Review: British divas mix up pop music with fierce vocal harmonies

“Salute,” the sophomore album from U.K. girl group Little Mix, has all the fun, fierce pop beats a listener could want and then some. The only all-female band to ever win the U.K. X Factor competition proves exactly why it was victorious with another album full of perfect harmonies and high-energy tracks.

The album opens with sirens blaring on the title track “Salute,” a literal call to arms for girls around the world to realize their power. Proving reminiscent of Beyonce’s “Run the World (Girls)” with lyrics like, “get your killer heels, sneakers, pumps or lace up your boots, representing all the women, salute, salute!” The song is a pure fun, girl-power anthem that is sure to rally women to dance along with its empowering lyrics.

The women sing a message to their younger selves in their newest single “Little Me,” all about wishing they could go back and tell themselves to believe they are, “beautiful, wonderful.” Their voices blend flawlessly as they harmonize and sing with a raw, sad emotion that makes this recycled “go back in time” subject refreshing and heartbreaking. The deluxe album features an acoustic version of this song that is well worth spending the money on, as the track beautifully displays the womens’ vocals.

The pure vocal talent of the group is on the track “Boy,” which opens with an a capella verse to rival those of Destiny’s Child. Its harmonies are nothing short of flawless. If Little Mix is the new Destiny’s Child, as music media have claimed, member Perrie Edwards is its Beyonce. Edwards has the most versatile voice of the group, ranging from scat singing on the bonus track “Stand Down” to an operatic, Mariah Carey-esque high note at the end of the bridge in the track “About the Boy.”

While the album is heavy with synthesized hand claps and plenty of background beats, the effects never overpower the leading ladies. The band does exactly what a girl group should do — sing songs that are empowering to other women.

$1495
$2000