$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

Campus prepares for MLK Day

The Office of Student Engagement and Multicultural Affairs will be sponsoring a series of events in honor of Martin Luther King Jr., on Monday, Jan. 20. All members of the Ithaca College community are encouraged to spend the day celebrating and reflecting on King’s legacy.

The events on Monday are free and open to all students, faculty and staff.

A community breakfast will be held at 8:30 a.m. in Emerson Suites. The breakfast will feature a discussion on the history of student activism at Ithaca College with Don Austin, assistant director of community service, junior Aaron Lipford and Meira Keil ’13. There will also be a discussion on citizenship and belonging in America by Donathan Brown, assistant professor of communications studies; Carlos Figueroa, assistant professor of politics; and Annette Levine, associate professor of modern language and literatures.

There will be a series of lectures, hosted by members of the campus community, from 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. and from 2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. in the Campus Center. A complete list of the lectures can be found on the college’s website.

A screening of the film “Freedom Riders” will be held at noon in the Klingenstein Lounge. There will be a discussion about civic engagement of college-aged students during the civil rights movement, led by senior Tariq Meyers, following the screening.

The members of the First-Year Scholar Program will present on their experiences of going on a civil rights tour during Fall Break 2013 at 4 p.m. in Emerson Suites. Following the presentation, there will be an address by the MLK Day Keynote Speaker, Librada Paz. Paz is a Western New York Council Member for the Rural and Migrant Ministry, and has been involved with the farmworkers human rights movement for more than 20 years.

The James J. Whalen School of Music will hold its annual MLK Day Concert at 7:30 p.m. in Ford Hall.

MLK week will conclude with the day of service on Jan. 25. Students can sign up to volunteer at locations around the community, including the Women’s Opportunity Center, the Salvation Army and the Tompkins County Public Library.

$1495
$2000