$1520
$2000

$1520
$2000

College briefing: Aug. 25

Ithaca College changes to new printing system
Ithaca College has changed its print management program across campus in order to encourage sustainability and to reduce the amount of wasteful printing.
Under this new printing program, students will be allowed complimentary prints at the beginning of each semester. ID Express will be used for prints that exceed the allowance.
Each student is allowed $10 worth of free printing at the beginning of each semester, which is the equivalent to approximately 142 double-sided pages. The unused allowances from fall roll over into the spring semester, but at the end of the year,  all of the print allowances will reset.

New project to donate reusable office supplies
The Ithaca College Resource and Environmental Management Program started a project called Office Supply Collection and Reuse. The goal of OSCAR is to redistribute extra office supplies on campus. These supplies can be located at 196 Phillips Hall across from the education department.
REMP is an organization that works to help create a more sustainable lifestyle and promotes awareness about the environment.
Through OSCAR, anyone can donate useable office supplies so student organizations, offices at the college, other departments and students can use them. This is a free service.
Currently, there are hanging file folders and 3-inch and 5-inch three-ring binders in excellent condition. A pick-up can be arranged to collect more donated office supplies by sending an email to [email protected].

Professor given award for community activism
Nia Makepeace, assistant professor of education, was awarded the Emerging Leader Award by Planned Parenthood of the Southern Finger Lakes Action.
The award was given to Makepeace for her “new and innovative” methods of being involved with community activism.
Makepeace was formerly a counselor at Beverly J. Martin Elementary School, as well as a director of the Southside Community Center.
She is currently the director of the Community Unity Music Education Program and was the leader of a  Girls’ Empowerment Group in the Ithacan community. Makepeace’s work will be presented at the National Association for Multicultural Education.

Director leaves position at college health center
Justine Schaff, director of the Hammond Health Center, accepted a position at Cayuga Medical Center as assistant director of emergency medicine.
Her reception will be held from 4–5:30 p.m. on Aug. 29 at the Hammond Health Center.

H&S to hold celebration events for anniversary

The Ithaca College School of Humanities and Sciences is celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Charles Percy Snow lecture series. Inspired by Snow, a physical chemist and novelist, these events will highlight the meaning of engaging in an integrative liberal arts education.
Beginning in September, there will be lectures, art exhibits and a staged reading leading up to the main lectures and events. One of the art exhibits, titled “Oral Fixations,” will be loacted in the Handwerker Gallery, and a talk with Julia Randall will follow.
On Nov. 7, Alan Lightman, physicist, philosopher of science and novelist, will be reading “At the Crossroads of Science and Art.” On Nov. 7–8, the Humanities and Technology Camp will be hosting an unconference meeting, which is defined as an informal, open and inexpensive meeting where scientists and humanists can collaborate in workshops and short sessions, some of which are proposed on the spot.

IC garden to be featured on permaculture tour
The Finger Lakes Permaculture Institute will be holding tours around the Ithaca community to several permaculture installations from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sept. 6.
One of the tour stops is Ithaca College’s own permaculture garden outside of Williams Hall.The students of the Permaculture Principles & Practice course, along with their professor, Karryn Olson-Ramanujan, have maintained the college’s garden,  which is populated with leafy vegetables and different types of plants. Ramanujan is the founding instructor of FLPCI.

$1520
$2000