$1520
$2000

$1520
$2000

Editorial: Top administrators should not have accepted raises

In 2013, Ithaca College President Tom Rochon announced “Under 3 Over 3,” an annual plan which is aimed at keeping tuition costs from rising more than 3 percent and to raise college employees’ salaries by 3 percent. However, while top college administrators received raises of more than 5 percent, staff and faculty received only a 2.75 percent salary increase, which does not meet the 3 percent promise.

Rochon earned $338,336 for the 2011–12 fiscal year. According to the IRS Form 990, Rochon earned $357,215 for the 2012–13 fiscal year, a 5.58 percent increase from the previous fiscal year’s Form 990. Nancy Pringle, vice president and general counsel of legal affairs; Eric Maguire, vice president of enrollment and communication; and Leslie Lewis, dean of the School of Humanities and Sciences all received salary raises of more than 3 percent.

Rochon and other administrators who received raises should not have accepted them. If staff and faculty are not receiving the 3 percent raise as Rochon targeted, he and other top college administrators should not have received — and accepted — raises above 3 percent, which is only fair.

$1520
$2000