$1520
$2000

$1520
$2000

Board of Trustees announces search for tenth college president

Ana Maniaci McGough/The Ithacan
The virtual open-conversation session was led by David Lissy ’87, chair of the board of trustees, and James Nolan ’77, vice chair of the board of trustees. About 55 people attended the event.

The Ithaca College Board of Trustees announced that it is beginning the search for the tenth president of the college.

In a Sept. 17 email to the campus community, Dave Lissy ’87, chair of the board of trustees, and Jim Nolan ’77, vice chair of the board of trustees, said a search committee has been formed and will be chaired by David Fleisher ’91. Fleisher is a member of the board of trustees and was the president of the Student Governance Council (SGC) when he attended the college, president of the Alumni Board of Directors and the parent of a Class of 2020 graduate.

The search committee is made up of 15 people. The members of the committee are Fleisher, Michael J. Conover ’81, trustee; Jack Dembow ’77, trustee; junior Deontae Guy, president of the SGC; Traci Hughes ’85, trustee; Tanya Hutchins ’89, president of the Alumni Association Board of Directors; Clint McCartney, chair of the Staff Council; Chris McNamara ’81, clinical associate professor, clinic director in the Department of Physical Therapy and Faculty Council Chair; Kathy Newlands ’89, trustee; Mary George Opperman, trustee; Linda Petrosino ’77, dean of the School of Health Sciences and Human Performance; Jeff Selingo ’95, trustee; Jan Singer ’86, trustee; and two additional faculty members who will be appointed by the Faculty Council. 

The email said the next step is selecting a search firm to consult with the committee.

“This is an important time in our 129-year history — our challenges are many, and our opportunities even greater,” the email said. “As such, the selection of our next president will set the tone for our future and will lead the way as we continue to deliver on our mission.”

The board did not announce whether the search will be open or closed. The search for former president Shirley M. Collado was initially open, but was later closed by the board of trustees. Collado announced she was stepping down July 8. Some members of the campus community have said they want the search for the tenth president to be open and have called for transparency in the search. La Jerne Cornish, former provost and executive vice president, is serving as the interim president for the 2021–22 academic year. Collado stepped down effective Aug. 31 and is currently serving as senior advisor to the interim president and board of trustees.

The email reminded the community that the role of the search committee is to develop a leadership profile for the next president, include feedback from the campus community, evaluate potential candidates and deliver qualified candidates to the board of trustees.

Fleisher will also serve as the spokesperson for the committee and will share updates with the campus community. Questions or comments can be emailed to [email protected].

Guy said he appreciated be a part of the search committee.

“I’m honored to be able to be a part of the search committee that will look for Ithaca Colleges 10th president,” Guy said in a statement to The Ithacan. “I believe students are looking for a president that really is student-focused and student-driven. Students deserve to be heard and it is my hope that  students feel as though they are a part of the process. Without students, there would be no Ithaca College; I’m only in this position because of the students. Although I am the only student a part of the search committee representing the student body, I would love for at least one or two more seats to be opened to students at large. Regardless, our students will be heard.”

$1520
$2000