$1520
$2000

$1520
$2000

College Briefing: Jan. 22

TCAT route adds new Circle Apartments stop

The Tompkins Consolidated Area Transit has added services to the Circle Apartments for this semester. The TCAT now will stop at Circles every hour from 7:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m., with additional stops at 8 p.m., 8:30 p.m., 8:56 p.m., 9:56 p.m., 10:56 p.m., 11:56 p.m., 12:56 a.m. and 1:56 a.m. The departure time from the Park Hall has changed as well, as buses will now leave Park Hall every hour at 10 minutes after the hour and 40 minutes after the hour from 7:40 a.m. to 9:10 p.m. and hourly until 2:10 a.m.

Professor receives grant to create Pakistani play

Kathleen Mulligan, associate professor of theater arts, has been awarded a grant by the U.S. Embassy in Islamabad, Pakistan, for her sabbatical project “Voices of Partition,” which  will be an original theatrical production based on the stories of survivors of the 1947 partition of Pakistan and India.

Mulligan will join with the Theatre Wallay, a theater company based in Islamabad,

Pakistan, to research and collect the stories of survivors, and then return to the United States to produce a theater piece under the Fullbright Specialist Program. The program allows faculty members from the United States to engage in short-term collaborative projects with professionals in foreign countries.

The production is set to open in Islamabad, Pakistan. It will then travel to Lahore, Pakistan, before being performed at Ithaca College in the Fall 2015.

Mulligan has been to Pakistan two previous times with the Fullbright Specialist Program. On this trip, she is going with theater alumna Sarah Herbert-Johnson ’12. Herbert-Johnson volunteers with the Performing Arts for Social Change initiative. The initiative aims to give a voice to overlooked societal injustices.

College receives honors for community service

Ithaca College has been recognized by the Corporation for National and Community Service as a member of the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll. This honor is given by the Corporation for National and Community Service for volunteering, service-learning and civic engagement.

The Corporation for National and Community Service partners with the U.S. Department of Education and the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development to select colleges and universities to be recognized. There are varying degrees of recognition, as follows: Honor Roll, Honor Roll with Distinction, Finalists and Presidential winners for each of the following four categories: General Community Service, Interfaith Community Service, Economic Opportunity and Education. The college was recognized in the General Community Service category on the Honor Roll.

Examples of student community service programs on campus include the Park School Media Literacy Club, which teaches local school students how to use technology; IC Intercambios, which pairs students with local migrant workers to practice speaking

English and Spanish; and Stop Wasting Ithaca’s Food Today, which packages unused food in the dining halls and donates it to local food pantries.

Professor to remodel new Nigerian curriculum

Peyi Soyinka-Airewele, professor of politics, has received a Carnegie African Diaspora

Fellowship and will spend this semester at Covenant University in Ota, Nigeria, helping the University develop a Ph.D program in strategic and peace studies.

She is one of 60 scholars selected for the fellowship, which is funded by the Carnegie Corporation of New York and managed by the Institute of International Education. The program engagesAfrican-born scholars currently based in the United States or Canada with scholars based in Africa.

Soyinka-Airewele plans on modernizing the curriculum, using Web-based simulations as well as cinema. She will use her own research on the politics of memory to transform the curriculum.

She is the founder of Shape Our Future Now, a group of African scholars, activists and professionals dedicated to shaping a positive future for Nigeria. The group was created in response to the kidnapping of 300 school girls by Boko Haram, a Nigerian terrorist group.

Park School included in top TV news schools

NewsPro, a magazine for television news professionals published by TV Week, has recognized the Roy H. Park School of Communications as one of the top 20 journalism schools in the country.

The rankings were decided by a NewsPro-Radio Television Digital News Association poll of news professionals. The poll was distributed by TVWeek.com to the members of the RTDNA, and  673 respondents participated in the survey.

The Park School was one of the number 11 through 20 schools, which were listed alphabetically.

The University of Missouri at Columbia’s Missouri School of Journalism was voted at the number one journalism school in the nation, followed by the University of Georgia’s Grady College of Journalism and Mass Communications  at number two and Northwestern University’s Medill School of Journalism at number three. Syracuse University’s S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communication was tied for fourth with Columbia University’s Graduate School of  Journalism.

$1520
$2000