$1620
$2000

$1620
$2000

$1620
$2000

$1620
$2000

College Briefs Nov. 1

John Henry Downes
First-year student Abigail Mast shuffles her tarot cards before her reading at the Seance Halloween Party hosted by IC Pagans at Muller Chapel on Oct. 30. Students also wore costumes and enjoyed s’mores and candy.

IT Service Desk extends hours to provide support for registration

The Information Technology Service Desk will provide expanded Spring 2024 registration support in-person or through live chat services, email or the IC service portal. From Nov. 1 to Nov.9, the desk will be open from 7:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Over the weekend the desk 2ull be open from 12 p.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturdays and from 12 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Sundays. After Nov. 9, the service desk will be going back to its usual schedule, which is from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. from Monday through Thursday, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Fridays, from 12 p.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturdays and from 12 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Sundays. 

College seeks faculty to teach pre-college summer courses 

Ithaca College is looking for faculty who are interested in teaching a three-week pre-college summer 2024 course to high school students. The pre-college program will run from July 14 to Aug. 2, 2024, and classes will be held in-person. Students attending the program will either be juniors or seniors in high school. Faculty who will teach the courses will be compensated with $5653.53 and classes will either be held from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. and 1 to 2:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. Faculty will also receive a Teacher’s Assistant for whatever course they are teaching and will receive an extra stipend for class trips and activities. Interested faculty must email [email protected] by Nov. 17 with a title and brief description of their course, along with the number of credits they would like to offer it for. 

Two faculty members appointed as new co-directors of FLEFF

Michael Richardson, professor and director of the Screen Cultures Program in the Department of World Languages, Literatures and Cultures, and Andrew Utterson, associate professor in the Department of Media Arts, Sciences and Studies, have been appointed as co directors of the Finger Lakes Environmental Film Festival. This change comes after the passing of Patricia Zimmerman, who was the director of FLEFF and a Charles A. Dana Professor in the Department of Screen Studies, Media Arts, Sciences and Studies. FLEFF is an annual film festival that features filmmakers and guests from across the world to participate in interdisciplinary debate and discussion.

Phi Kappa Phi awards academic excellence and inducts new members

The Fall 2023 Phi Kappa Phi awards and induction ceremony will be held from 4 to 5:30 p.m. Nov. 9 in the Haines Forum, which is located on the second floor of the Peggy Ryan Williams Building. Phi Kappa Phi is a national honor society that recognizes scholarship in higher education. The following students will be honored at the event: senior Emily Leach will be honored with the John Bernard Award, senior Amanda Lewis will be honored with the Shirley Hockett Award, senior Jess Moskowitz will be honored with the John Harcourt Award, senior and Tommy Zieger will be honored with the Raquib Zaman Award . Kari Brossard Stoos,  associate professor in the Department of Health Sciences and Public Health, and Laura Gras, professor in the Department of Physical Therapy, are the faculty who will be honored. Individuals seeking accommodations should send their requests via email to [email protected] or via call to 607-274-7918.

Office of International Programs holds Zoom study abroad drop-in information sessions

The Office of International Programs holds weekly drop-in Zoom office hours during the noon hour on Tuesdays or Thursdays, in addition to scheduled appointments. Students who would like more information about finding a study abroad program or exploring study abroad options are welcome to attend, and should bring specific questions to ask an adviser. Students who join the session will either be immediately connected w​​ith an adviser or placed in the waiting room until the adviser is ready. 

Open hours will be held from 12:10–1:05 Nov. 2, Nov. 7, Nov. 16, Nov. 30 and Dec. 5. Students should register for the advising sessions using the link in the Intercom post. Requests for accommodations should be directed to [email protected].  

Virtual Winter 2024 course explores religion and ‘The Simpsons’

The virtual course Religion and Rhetoric in America will use the U.S.’s longest running sitcom, ‘The Simpsons,’ to examine the portrayal of religion and gender in animated shows. Students will learn about rhetoric by considering how the signs in The Simpsons and other television impact viewers. The course will be held during Winter Session Two from Jan. 2 to Jan. 19. The course fulfills Humanities and Liberal Arts ICC requirements and the Identities theme. Students can look for RLST 12200 to register for the course on Homer Connect.

First Friday event brings s’mores and hot chocolate to the Campus Center Quad

The BIPOC Unity Center will partner with Brother For Brother and the Brazilian Student Association to host S’mores on the Quad as its monthly community-building First Friday event. The event will be held from 5 to 7 p.m. Nov. 3 on the Campus Center Quad and will include s’mores and a hot chocolate bar. There will also be music, giant Jenga and Connect 4. Students can RSVP for the event using the QR code on the flyer in the Intercom post. Requests for accommodations can be directed to [email protected]

College offers four one-credit slow read courses in Spring 2024

In Spring 2024, the college will offer four slow read courses, which focus on reading and closely analyzing one large text through the course of a semester. The slow read courses hold one class session each week for once credit and are open to all students, as there are no prerequisites. Students can register for more than one slow read course during the same semester. 

Juan Arroyo, assistant professor in the Department of Politics, will teach a slow read course on “Laudato Si”, Pope Francis’ letter about the environment that was addressed to bishops of the Roman Catholic Church. The course, which  is listed as POLT-21000, will meet from 4 to 4:30 p.m. on Mondays and will explore the environmental and theological dimensions of the text.

Kasia Bartoszynska, assistant professor in the Department of Literatures in English and coordinator of the Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality studies program, will offer a slow read course on “Middlemarch” by English author George Eliot. The novel describes a provincial English life through a time of significant technological and social change. The course, ENGL 29400-01,  will be held from 2 to 3:15 p.m. on Fridays.

The HIST-20001 course will be taught by Michael Smith, professor in the Department of History, and will explore “Freedom’s Dominion: A Saga of White Resistance to Federal Powerby Jefferson Cowie. Cowie won the 2023 Pulitzer Prize for the book, which considers how the opposition to the Civil Rights movement predicted the current climate of political polarization. Cowie will meet with students enrolled in the course during a campus visit in the spring. The course will meet from 2:35 to 3:50 p.m. on Thursdays. 

The final slow read course will be taught by Robert Sullivan, professor in the Department of Literatures in English, and will explore the Roman epic poem “The Aeneidby Virgil. The epic poem was written in the style of Greek epic works “Iliad” and “Odyssey” and details how Trojan War survivors founded Rome. The course, ENGL 29400-02 will meet from 4 to 4:15 p.m. on Wednesdays.