$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

College Briefs 2/11

The+Ithaca+College+Nerf+Club+held+Return+of+the+Nerf+Feb.+10%2C+their+first+battle+of+the+semester+in+the+Center+of+Health+Sciences+Atrium.+
Ray Milburn
The Ithaca College Nerf Club held Return of the Nerf Feb. 10, their first battle of the semester in the Center of Health Sciences Atrium.

Public safety introduces ALERTUS system 

The Office of Public Safety and Emergency Management introduced ALERTUS, a safety notification system, to the campus Feb. 8 in an Intercom message. The system will be integrated with RAVE, the college’s current notification system. Students will be able to receive messages through different notification channels including desktop alerts, emails and text messages. The system will also allow public safety to geo-target locations on and around campus for more localized and contextualized messages. Additionally, the system will be able to alert students with visual and audio alerts to ensure students remain updated in emergency situations. 

Dr. Martin Luther King Celebration Week celebrates women of color

The annual Dr. Martin Luther King Celebration Week will be taking place from Feb. 12 to Feb. 17. The theme of this year’s celebration is “Amplifying The Voices of Womxn of Color.” The theme will be applied to the series of events including workshops, panel discussions, dance workshops and a community service opportunity throughout the week. The week will begin with a women of color leadership panel, including President La Jerne Cornish as one of the panelists. The keynote speakers of the week will be Eden Strachan ’21 and Cyepress Rite ’22 and they will present at 4 p.m. Feb. 15 in Emerson Suites.

WICB airs “Radio Row Review” from Las Vegas

WICB aired “Radio Row Review,” a five-episode radio show from Feb. 5 to Feb. 9 from juniors Josh Hobbs, Rheanna DeCrow, Cam Manna and Eli Fishman, who covered Super Bowl LVIII Media Week in Las Vegas, Nevada. WICB had a table at “Radio Row” at the weeklong event. The students spoke to celebrities like Eli Manning, former NFL quarterback and two-time Super Bowl Champion; Jordan Love, the Packers quarterback; and Andrew Marchand 96, a sports media writer for The Althletic among others. All five episodes are available on Anchor, Spotify and Apple Podcasts.

IC Women in STEM hosts Galentine’s Day celebration

IC Women in Stem is hosting a Galentine’s Day celebration from 5 to 6 p.m. Feb. 13 in the Center for Natural Sciences room 333. The club will be building mini Valentine’s Day gingerbread houses and making fruit kabobs. For accommodations and dietary restrictions, email [email protected]. IC Women in STEM is a club that highlights women in the fields of science, technology, engineering and mathematics. The club seeks to raise awareness about discrimination against women in these fields and to create an empowering and uniting environment for women in STEM at the college. 

Commemorate Senior Class Celebration with a toast with the president

The Senior Class Celebration and Resource Fair will be from 4 to 6 p.m. Feb. 13 in Emerson Suites. Seniors will be able to ask questions from offices across campus, including parking services and the Registrar’s office and in the area of marching order. Seniors can ask about Senior Week, Senior Class and Commencement Weekend festivities at the event. At 5:20 p.m., President La Jerne Cornish will be commemorating the event with a toast. Arrive 15 minutes early and bring a driver’s license or non-driver’s license to participate. 

Celebrate Valentine’s Day at the LGBT Center 

The Center for LGBT Education, Outreach and Services’ Valentine’s Day open house will take place from 12 to 4 p.m. Feb. 14 in Towers Concourse 110. The event will have cookies, cookie decorating, Valentine’s crafts and cocoa. The main space will be open for the event and activities and conversations are open to the side rooms as well. Email [email protected] with any questions or for accommodations. 

Spring IC Day of ServiceThe Spring 2024 IC Day of Service will be Feb. 17 at the Ithaca ReUse Center. The all-day event will begin in IC Square, Campus Center at 10 a.m. with a group breakfast. The bus will begin loading at 10:15 a.m. and leave by 10:20 a.m. The bus will arrive by 10:30 a.m. and participants will volunteer their time until 3 p.m. The Ithaca ReUse Center is a secondhand store that uses zero-waste alternatives by deconstructing, organizing and sorting materials and items donated to the center. Lunch will be provided at 1 p.m. and the group will be back on campus by 3:30 p.m. Participants needed to RSVP by Feb. 8 to join. Participation in this volunteer opportunity may fulfill scholarship service requirements.