$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

College Briefs 2/21

Nathan Glasser
The Bombers’ student section cheers on senior Andrew Geschickter after he makes a corner 3-point shot.

LGBTQ+ Affinity Group meet and greet for prospective members

The LGBTQ+ Affinity Group for faculty and staff will be holding its first event of the semester from 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. Feb. 22 in the Clark Lounge. The event will be a meet and greet to welcome current and potential members for an evening that centers around the LGBTQ+ community and experience. There will be a prize raffle during the gathering and food, beverages and a cash bar will be available throughout the event. Faculty and staff can RSVP by Feb. 20 through the RSVP form. People with questions or needing accommodations should reach out to Crissi Dalfonzo at [email protected] or 607-274-7394. Requests for accommodations should be made as soon as possible. 

Dr. Gerardo Pignatiello discusses betrayal plot of “tango canción”

The Latin American and Caribbean Studies Program is inviting the campus community to a lecture led by Dr. Gerardo Pignatiello, assistant professor of romance languages and literatures at Binghamton University. The talk is at 1:10 p.m. March 5 in the Ithaca Falls Room, entitled “‘Ten cuidado mariposa’: violencia y racionalidad económica de la moral tanguera” [‘Be Careful Butterfly’: Violence and Economic Reason in Tango Morality]. Pignatiello will discuss the betrayal plot in tango and how it explains avariety of relationships. To avoid these betrayals, tango lyrics can advise, threaten or “kill.” The presentation will explore the representation of these different types of violence in the Golden Age of the “tango cancion,” 1916 to 1955. Pignatiello has a PhD in Hispanic Studies from the University of Pennsylvania. His research focuses on crime and detective fiction (literature and film) in the Southern Cone of Latin America. The talk will be in Spanish. Individuals with disabilities requiring accommodations should contact Camilo A Malagón at [email protected]. Requests for accommodations should be made as soon as possible.

Applicants needed for James J. Whalen Academic Symposium
The James J. Whalen Academic Symposium will be accepting applications until March 7. Students must submit a 250–500-word project summary “abstract” via the Online Submission Form. Students can choose to present a print or digital poster, give an oral presentation or showcase creative work at the campus-wide symposium. A limited number of digital poster presentations will be accepted at the symposium. Students need to select “digital poster” from the presentation type dropdown menu when they submit the Whalen Abstract Submission Form. Students need to save the presentation as a pdf and bring it to the symposium on a flash drive that has been formatted for Windows computers. If students have already submitted an abstract and would like to present a digital poster, please email [email protected]. More information is posted on the Whalen Symposium website for more information. Email [email protected] if there are any questions. The symposium will be held
April 11.

The All-Supervisors meeting to focus on Annual Review Process

The All-Supervisors meeting will be held from 1 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. Feb. 26 in Emerson Suites. The meeting will focus on the Annual Review Process. Supervisors will explore enhanced competencies, review timelines and exchange best practices to elevate collective impact. Supervisors will share tools and techniques to assess, compose and deliver reviews that resonate, inspiring growth and ignite potential. Individuals with disabilities requiring accommodations should contact Laney Sodoma ([email protected]). Requests for accommodations be made as soon as possible. If a supervisor is unable to make the meeting on Feb. 26, a virtual All-Supervisors meeting will be held  from 1 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. Feb. 27 for all remote supervisors. Please contact the Office of Human Resources with any questions.  Film screening of “Move When the Spirit says Move” Feb. 22

The Center for Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging will host a screening of Photosynthesis Production’s “Move When the Spirit says Move: The Legacy of Dorothy Foreman Cotton” from 6 to 8 p.m. Feb. 22 in the Roy H. Park Auditorium. The event is free and open to the community. After the screening, there will be a talkback led by the film’s executive producer and senior advisor, Laura Ward Branca; the film’s creators, Ry Ferro ’14 and Deborah C. Hoard; and Belisa Gonzalez, dean of Faculty, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging at Ithaca college. This event is free and open to the community. Individuals with disabilities requiring accommodations should contact Mack Rovenolt at [email protected]  or  607-274-7011.  Requests for accommodations must be made as soon as possible. 

IC Sustainability Awards open to campus community nominations

In Spring 2024, The Office of Energy Management and Sustainability (OEMS) at Ithaca College will be presenting awards to a student, staff, faculty member, club and community organization who have made significant environmental sustainability contributions to the campus and the greater Ithaca community. A call for nominations is now open for the following categories: The “Ripple Effect” Student Award, the “Environmental Resilience” Staff Award, the “Eco-Blazer” Club Award, The “Green Apple” Faculty Award and The “South Hill Sustainable Bridge” Community Award. The campus community is welcome to nominate a person or group that they feel has made a difference in sustainability in the community. The awards will be presented during Sustainability Week during the week of April 22. Nominations are due April 1. Nominations can be submitted through the nomination form, the IC OEMS website or via email at [email protected].

Submit creative writing, art and photos to Stillwater Magazine

Stillwater Magazine is accepting creative writing, artwork and photography for publication during its annual print issue. Submissions must include last name, genre and if students would like their work to be published on the blog or print magazine. The magazine invites work from Ithaca College undergraduate and graduate students from all majors regardless of background, genre or chosen medium. Submissions close Feb. 23. For more information on how to submit, students can visit icstillwater.com/submit and contact the magazine with questions, thoughts and concerns at [email protected].