$1260
$2000

College and City: March 27

Retail locations accept donations to Food Bank

All Ithaca College dining retail locations are accepting donations through the end of March to The BackPack Program for Food Bank of the Southern Tier in light of nutrition month. Every Friday, volunteers in the program discreetly place donated food into the backpacks of children in need. This ensures that these children do not go hungry over the weekend while they are not in school. It costs about $3 to fill a backback, but any donation contributes to the rising need to supply low-income families.

Locations accepting donations include the Food Court at IC Square, Sandella’s Cafe, Subconnection, Library Cafe and the cafes in the Roy H. Park School of Communications, Business School and the Center for Health Sciences.

Faculty program to include Mexican political culture

The fifth Ithaca College Faculty Colloquium of the academic year will feature Jorge Garcia, assistant professor of Spanish in the Department of Modern Languages and Literatures from 5–6:30 p.m. April 3 in the Clark Lounge of Campus Center. His presentation is titled “Contesting Liberalism in 19th Century Mexico: A Conservative Utopia,” followed by faculty music performances and socialization.

The IC Faculty Colloquium is a forum for faculty across departments and schools to share their research and creative work once a month. It has been in existence since 2012.

Garcia’s research interests include Mexico and Central American literature and history, Latin American film and civic engagement through filmmaking in developing communities. He recently presented work in a conference titled “Counterstories of Greater Mexico” held at Cornell University. He received his Ph.D. from the University of Texas in Austin at 2010.

Seminar Program to hold sessions for Peer Leaders

The Ithaca Seminar Program is seeking rising sophomores, juniors and seniors to serve as Peer Leaders in an Ithaca College Seminar for the Fall 2014 semester in light of the implementation of the Integrative Core Curriculum. The first information session will be held from 4–5 p.m. March 31 in the DeMotte Meeting Room in the Campus Center, followed by one held at 11 a.m. April 1 in the Ithaca Falls Room and 4 p.m. April 2 in the DeMotte Meeting Room.

Those eligible students with at least 15 credit hours per semester and a minimum 3.0 GPA are welcome to apply.

Each Peer Leader will be paired with a seminar faculty instructor and the corresponding class section based on the expressed wants and needs of both parties and on the leaders’ ICC theme interests. The goal is to help guide incoming students with the college transition through consistent communication and helping in the classroom.

The job requires Peer Leaders to enroll in ICSM 300, “Principles of Peer Leadership and Mentoring.” The student must regularly communicate with his or her assigned faculty instructor, whether through meeting outside of class or attending organized Peer Leader/Faculty functions together. Peer Leaders must attend every noon hour course meeting and facilitate three of them, as well as help run one experience outside of class.

Training will occur in ICSM 300, where students will learn how to address common first-year challenges and discuss leadership styles and effective communication methods.

For more information, contact Kerry Spitze at [email protected].

Team sign-ups to close for basketball tournament

Registration for the Public Relations Student Society of America’s annual “Swish for Make-A-Wish” event closes April 7. The college basketball tournament will take place from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. April 19 in the Mondo Gym in the Fitness Center.

Teams of five to 10 people can sign up to participate in either Pro or Semi-Pro brackets. Each player is required to donate $10 to participate in the event, which will include a free T-shirt and food.

Contact [email protected] for any questions.

First Latino to become Cornell Law School dean

Eduardo M. Penalver has been named the next Allan R. Tessler Dean of Cornell Law School and will be the first Latino dean of an Ivy League law school beginning July 1. An expert in property law and land use, he was a Cornell University faculty member from 2006 to 2012 and is currently the John P. Wilson Professor of Law at the University of Chicago Law School. His predecessor at Cornell Law, Stewart J. Schwab, has been dean since 2004 and plans to return to teaching at the law school after a sabbatical next year.

Penalver received his bachelor’s degree in the College Scholar Program from Cornell and his law degree from Yale Law School in 1999. After completing law school, he was a clerk in the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit and for the Supreme Court Justice John Paul Stevens.

His work on property law has been published in law journals at Yale University, the University of Michigan, Cornell and the University of Pennsylvania. His book “Property Outlaws” explores the role of disobedience in the evolution of property law and was published by Yale University Press in 2010. The same year, he received the Provost’s Award for Distinguished Scholarship at Cornell. 

Penalver has delivered more than 60 academic presentations around the world about theories of property law and religion.

Community to view film on racism over 3-day span

The community initiative to view the three-part PBS documentary, “Race: The Power of an Illusion,” is coming to Ithaca College from 3–5 p.m. April 3, 10 and 17 in Friends Hall, room 304. One-hour episodes of the series will be shown each night. A representative of the Multicultural Resources Center of Ithaca in affiliation with Cornell University’s Cooperative Extension of Tompkins County will facilitate a discussion after each showing.

The documentary examines the social, biological and political constructs of race and the myths that correspond with race. It introduces conversations on the impact of these perceptions on society with the goal of overcoming the myths.

Using contemporary science, “Episode One: The Difference Between Us” challenges the common perception that physical traits can divide people into several different groups. The second episode, “The Story We Tell,” looks at the history of how North Americans have legitimized race as “natural.” “Episode Three: The House We Live In,” reveals how race is an element of culture and politics, not biology.

The Diversity Awareness Committee and the Office of Diversity and Inclusion are sponsoring the free event.

$1260
$2000