$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

College and City: March 6

Facilities department fills administrative position

Timothy Carey has been named associate vice president for the Office of Facilities at Ithaca College. He will begin March 24 and will
succeed Rick Couture, who left the position last fall.  Carey was previously serving since 2007 as associate vice president for facilities services at Montclair State University in New Jersey.

Since 1986, Carey has served in a number of positions at Montclair State, including director of administrative operations, director of
continuous quality improvement and executive assistant to the senior vice president for administration and assistant director of the Educational Opportunity Fund. He holds a doctorate in educational policy, theory and administration from Rutgers University.

His responsibilities at the college will include creating, analyzing and communicating ways in which physical space and facilities can support the implementation of the college’s IC 20/20 strategic plan. He will directly supervise the director for facilities services, director for facilities maintenance, director for grounds and transportation and director for facilities planning, design and construction.

Carey has served on the New Jersey Association of Physical Plant Managers as a board member and past education chair. Additionally, he was a consultant to several higher education institutions on process improvement. He also participated in the Management Development Program for higher education administrators at Harvard University. 

Film screening to discuss human and plant relations

“The Botany of Desire,” a two-hour PBS documentary, will question humans’ relationship with the plant world at 7 p.m. March 6 in the Klingenstein Lounge. Part of the Sustainability Film Series at the college, the documentary is based on the best-selling book of the same name by Michael Pollan and plays off the question of how plants shape us, rather than the other way around.

Sustainability at IC and IC Nutrition Club are sponsoring the event, which is eligible for Student Leadership Institute credit. Free and open to the public, the event will also offer free snacks and interactive activities in response to the film.

Individuals with disabilities requiring accommodations should contact Marian Brown at [email protected] or 607–274–3787. Requests for accommodations should be made as soon as possible.

Visiting writer to read from award-winning novel

The Distinguished Visiting Writers Series at Ithaca College will host a reading by author Rachel Kushner, 2013 Guggenheim Fellow, at 7:30 p.m. March 20 in the Park Hall Auditorium. It is free and open to the public.

Kushner is the first writer ever nominated for a National Book Award in fiction for her first two novels. Her most recent novel, “The Flamethrowers,” was a finalist for the 2013 National Book Award and named one of the top-10 books of the year by The New York Times. “Telex from Cuba,” her first novel, was a finalist for the 2008 National Book Award and winner of the California Book Award. 

Kushner’s fiction and essays have appeared in The New York Times, Paris Review, Believer, Artforum and Bookforum, among other publications. She currently serves as an editor of Soft Targets, a journal of art, fiction and poetry.

For more information on the college’s Distinguished Visiting Writers Series, visit www.ithaca.edu/dvw or contact Catherine Taylor, associate professor of writing, at [email protected].

Gardening series to focus on sustainable practices

Gardening and Climate Change is the theme of this year’s “Spring into Gardening” event to be held from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. March 29 at the Cornell Cooperative Extension of Tompkins County.

Through a series of workshops and classes throughout the day, the theme will demonstrate how sustainable gardening practices can reduce greenhouse gas emissions while reducing “food miles,” the distance food is transported from the time it is produced until the time it reaches the consumer. Some classes will also detail preserving the harvest, cooking with renewable energy sources and adjusting growing methods to a warmer climate.

Workshop descriptions and a downloadable brochure are available on the CCE website: ccetompkins.org/garden/spring-gardening. Spaces are limited. To register, call CCE’s reception desk at 607–272–2292.

CSCRE series to kick off with antiracism dialogue

Phuong Nguyen, assistant professor in the Center for the Study of Culture, Race and Ethnicity will give a talk called “Crisis, Opportunity and Antiracism” at 7 p.m. March 6 in Emerson Suites. The discussion, which is part of the CSCRE Discussion Series, is free and open to the public.

Nguyen serves as coordinator of the minor in Asian American Studies at Ithaca College. His talk will highlight historical examples of how different racial and ethnic groups were able to climb the social ladder at another group’s expense. In addition, he will talk about how modern-day communities can rethink social justice and antiracism.

For more information on the CSCRE and the Discussion Series, visit ithaca.edu/cscre.

Cornell library to host chat with snake expert

Cornell University’s Mann Library will host a “Chats in the Stacks” book talk with Harry W. Greene, professor of ecology and evolutionary biology at Cornell and a Stephen H. Weiss Presidential Fellow, at 4 p.m. March 6.

Greene, one of the world’s leading snake experts who has traveled to six continents for more than 40 years of fieldwork, will talk about his new book, “Tracks and Shadows: Field Biology as Art.”

The book is both an autobiography and a meditation on natural history and its beauty. It explores themes such as the destruction of habitat and loss of biodiversity and the basics of field research and teaching.

Light refreshments will be provided, and copies of the book will be available for purchase and signing.

Nominations remain open for student worker award

The Student Employment Office is accepting nominations for the Ithaca College Student Employee of the Year Award until March 28. The award honors one student employee for serving others with enthusiasm, dedication and initiative throughout the year and will be given during the annual celebration of appreciation April 17.

All nominations must be completed online and contain the required documents to be eligible for review. The application form and instructions can be found on the student employment website.

$1495
$2000