$1275
$2000

College Briefing: Aug. 27

IC maintains financial stability

Ithaca College has reaffirmed its Moody’s Investors Service rating of A2, staying consistent with the college’s rating from 2013.

The college’s rating is a result of fiscal discipline, favorable operating performance and growth in flexible reserves, according to a statement by Moody’s.

Gerald Hector, vice president of finance and administration, said the rating was favorable but also reminded the college of some of its downfalls.

“Our overreliance on student-driven revenues, the levels of our fundraising and our ability to grow net tuition revenues were cited as some of our challenges,” Hector said in an announcement from the college.

Hector also said the college must continue with strategic actions to stay ahead of the financial curve.

“Only through prudent, strategic and focused decisions will we be able to stay ahead of the challenges so many are faced with today,” he said.

College hosts Sophomore Launch

Sophomores at Ithaca College are invited to the inaugural Sophomore Launch event, which is hosted by the Office of the President, the Office of Career Services and the Office of Student Engagement and
Multicultural Affairs.

The social mixer will be held from 7–8:30 p.m. Aug. 27 in the Emerson Suites of Phillips Hall and is dubbed as a reflection on freshman year, a launch of the sophomore year and an opportunity to create a “plan for achievement of your personal goals in the years ahead,” according to the announcement.

IC increases print allowances

After reducing print allowances last year, Ithaca College has increased the print allowances for students during the 2015–16 academic year.

Students will now be given a $15 allowance during both the fall and spring semesters, allowing for approximately 214 double-sided pages.

Last year, each student was allowed $10 in printing per semester.

Students’ unused allowances from fall will roll over to the spring semester but will reset after the spring semester.

J.J. Staff Scholarship application available for full-time employees

Full-time staff members enrolled in a degree program at Ithaca College are eligible to apply to the J.J. Whalen Staff Scholar Award.

The award of up to $750 is open to staff members who have completed at least 60 credits or are enrolled in a graduate degree program and have maintained a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.  The money can be used for books or other educational costs.

Interested staff members should apply by Sept. 11 by filling out the form on the staff council
webpage: http://www.ithaca.edu/staffcouncil/jjstaffscholaraward/.

IC ranked top 25 LGBTQ campus

Campus Pride, a national nonprofit working toward building safer campus environments for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender  students,
ranked Ithaca College on its list of Top 25 LGBTQ-Friendly Colleges and Universities.

Campus Pride decides its rankings based on colleges’ responses to the Campus Pride Index, which its website describes as “a national benchmarking tool which self-assesses LGBTQ-friendly policies, programs and practices.” The tool is free to use and can be found at http://campusprideindex.com.

The LGBTQ-Friendly Report Card that Campus Pride provides is broken down into the following sections: LGBTQ policy inclusion, support and institutional commitment, student life, academic life, housing and residence life, counseling and health, recruitment and retention, and campus safety.

The college’s overall Campus Pride Index score was five stars out of five. Cornell University was also on the list.

$1275
$2000