$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

College Briefing: Sept. 11

Freeman to speak about FOIA and other sources
Bob Freeman, executive director of the New York State Committee on Open Government, will be speaking about the Freedom of Information Act and other government sources 5–6:30 p.m. Sept. 16 in the communication school room 223.
Freeman has received numerous honors, including the John Peter Zenger Award from the New York News Publishers Association and the Lifetime Achievement Award from the New York State Associated Press Association. He has also been selected by the Society of Professional Journalists and the National Freedom of Information Coalition for their Heroes of the 50 States award. In addition, Freeman was inducted into The Open Government Hall of Fame.
Freeman has spoken at colleges, universities and government organizations about open government laws and concepts throughout the U.S., Canada, Eastern Europe and Latin America.

Ithaca College to host Founder’s Day Concert
The 23rd annual Founder’s Day Concert, Basically British, will be held at 2 p.m. Sept. 14 in DeWitt Park. Ithaca College’s Wind Ensemble will be performing.
This concert will commemorate the founding of the college in 1892.
The ensemble will be performing pieces including “Pineapple Poll” by Arthur Sullivan and “Irish Washerwoman” by Leroy Anderson. The concert will be open to the public and refreshments will also be available.
The rain-date location for the concert will be in Ford Hall in the James J. Whalen Center for Music.
Later that night will be Ithaca’s annual Porchfest, which will be found along the streets of Fall Creek and Northside.

OSEMA to host 2014 cross cultural retreat
The Office of Student Educational and Multicultural Affairs will host its 2014 Cross Cultural Leadership Retreat Oct. 31–Nov 2.
The retreat will present an opportunity for students to explore their relationship to leadership and the different aspects of diversity. The students who attend the retreat will participate in a series of educational sessions where they will discuss issues in large groups. Smaller groups will be available for informal conversations.
The goal of the retreat is to reach out to a large group of students that come from different cultural backgrounds, and every Ithaca College student is eligible to apply. Students can contact [email protected] for more information about the retreat.

Management seminars available to students
The Academic Advising Center will be providing workshops throughout September for students who have trouble managing their time and may have trouble with exams and assignments.
One of the workshops, titled “Budgeting Your Time: Learn the Ins and Outs of How to Budget Your Time to Make the Most of Your Education at Ithaca College,” will teach students how to divide free time, studies and campus involvement. It will also include tricks to using syllabi to help create schedules. The workshop will be held 12:10–1:00 p.m. Sept. 11 in Clark Lounge.
“This Isn’t High School Any More: Study Strategies and Tips for College Success” is a workshop that helps students learn effective study tips and note-taking strategies for the college classroom. This workshop will also teach students about the support resources that can be found around campus and how to use them.
This workshop will be at 4–4:50  p.m. Sept. 22 in Clark Lounge.
To sign up, students must email [email protected] because space is limited.

Workshops to highlight senior falling concerns
The Ithaca College Gerontology Institute with the Finger Lakes Geriatric Education Center will host a workshop titled “Falls Prevention: Multifactorial Considerations,” which will be held 2–4:30 p.m. Sept. 25 at the Country Inn and Suites.
The workshop is  available to students, faculty and staff.
It will include analyses of the complex problem of falls in older adults and also talk about strategies to prevent behaviors leading to older adults falling. Theresea Vallone, program director of occupational therapy and Michele Karnes, assistant professor of occupational therapy, will both be speaking during the presentation.

$1495
$2000