$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

College Briefs April 20

Jasmine Scriven
From left, junior Achille Vann Ricca and first-year student Jaimie-Kae Smith perform for audience members during Harmony Theatre Collective’s first ever production, Cabaret of Color on April 16 in Dillingham Center Studio 4.

VIC Radio to host 36th annual 50 Hour Marathon to benefit charity

Starting at 4 p.m. April 21 until 6 p.m. April 23, VIC Radio will host its annual 50 Hour Marathon for the 36th year. Four VIC DJs — seniors Andy Tell, Carly Vallet, Clare Breakell and Aidan Charde — will stay awake for 50 hours to raise money for the Advocacy of Tompkins County. Music from the indie-alternative genre will play for all 50 hours, with some musical guests coming live into the studio, as well. Listeners can tune in on vicradio.org, wicb.org, iHeart Radio, TuneIn Radio and ICTV.org, as well as cable channel Spectrum 16 and 91.7 FM for those listening locally. People are welcome to donate throughout the 50 Hour Marathon and before it starts. People who donate $40 will get four on-air mentions. People who donate $25 will get two on-air mentions. VIC started this year’s fundraiser in Fall 2022 with the Virtual Fall Benefit Concert in November. Bibi Club, Microbes Mostly, Jacob Faurholt, D.K. Lyons and Ed Staal all performed and a recording of the concert is available on the VIC website.

Whalen Symposium committee announces presentation winners

The James J. Whalen Academic Symposium Steering Committee announced the 2023 Whalen Symposium award winners. The symposium, which took place April 11, had 198 students perform, give talks and present posters about their research. The award for Best Overall Presenter went to first-year student Baneet Pukhrambam. Best of the School of Business was sophomore Rachel Ng. Best of the School of Communications was sophomore Kylie Schultz. Best of the School of Health Sciences and Human Performance were seniors Jaiden Mason and Finley Edmonds and sophomore Kristen Brodie. Best of the School of Humanities and Sciences were juniors Lin Chen, Nathan Moone and Nicole Wheeler. Best of the School of Music, Theatre and Dance was Nathan Oczkowski. Best Overall Poster went to senior Dehron Smith. Best of the School of Communications for poster projects were junior Camille Brock and senior Taylor Callis. Best of the School of Health Sciences and Human Performance were seniors Blathnaid Iosso, Allison Dell Orto, Veronica McCarthy and juniors Cassidy Gallivan, John Pirone and Olivia Waguespack. Best of the School of Humanities and Sciences was senior Jason Trafton. The steering committee includes David Hajjar, assistant professor in the Department of Speech Language Pathology and Audiology; Kimberly Wilkinson, associate professor in the Department of Occupational Therapy; Eber Beck, assistant professor in the Department of Physical Therapy; Abby Juda, science librarian at the Ithaca College Library; Doreen Hettich-Atkins, executive director of the Office of Student Affairs and Campus Life; Deborah King, professor and graduate chair of the Department of Exercise Science and Athletic Training; Sean Linfors, assistant professor in the Department of Music Education; Reed Pollard, planning and special projects coordinator in the Office of the President; Michelle Potter, executive assistant in the Office of the Provost and Academic Affairs; and Melanie Reyes, executive assistant in the Department of Finance and Administration.

Center for Faculty Excellence hosts grant workshop for faculty

From 12 to 1 p.m. April 24 on Zoom, the Center for Faculty Excellence will host a virtual workshop to go over grants, including opportunities for grants on a federal and state level, grant procedure at the college, finding grants and applying for grants. The session will be facilitated by Warren Calderone, director of Corporate & Foundation Relations and Sponsored Research, and Brian Erickson, associate controller of Financial Services. The special guest presenters include Eric Leibensperger, assistant professor in the Department of Physics and Astronomy, and Patrick McKeon, associate professor in the Department of Exercise Science and Athletic Training. Topics include preparing a concept paper and letter of inquiry, tools and links on the sponsored research website, personal experience applying for external grants and an overview of the Institutional Review Board. For questions and accommodations, contact Colette Matisco at [email protected] or 607-274-3734.

SAB to throw throwback party with music, food and prizes

The Student Activities Board will throw a throwback party from 8 to 10:30 p.m. April 27 at the Campus Center Fire Pit. The party will be 2000s-themed, and DJ Washburn will provide the music. Nostalgic snacks like Gushers, Hug Jugs and Yoohoo will be provided. There will also be raffle prizes reminiscent of the time period: Pillow Pets, Razor scooters and a Nintendo Switch. A photobooth and Silly Bandz station will also be offered. For any accommodations and questions, contact Sarah Boniche at [email protected] or 607-274-1165.

IC students inducted into science honor society for achievements

Sigma Xi Scientific Honor Society inducted 13 undergraduate Ithaca College students on April 12. The honor society has been around since 1886 and encourages cooperation among researchers from many different fields. It is one of the oldest and largest scientific organizations, and over 200 Nobel prize winners have been members of the society.

JED Campus Initiative to collect submissions for wellness week

Ithaca College’s JED Campus Initiative is looking for submissions for its Stop & Breathe campaign that will take place May 1–5. JED will feature organizations’ events that relate to mental health and wellness support throughout the week. Organizations can register to host a featured event through a link on Intercom. JED will incentivize students to attend these events by offering prizes for students who attend affiliated events. Organizations are encouraged to host activities like stress relief activities, meditation, yoga and more in order to qualify. For any questions, contact Cathy Michael at [email protected].

College offers vacation packages for some Giving Day donations

Giving Day, which is April 25, will offer donors the opportunity to return to the college or upstate New York. Alumni who graduated between 2018 and 2022 and who donate $25 or more, alumni who graduated between 2013 and 2017 and who donate $50 or more and anyone who makes a gift of $100 or more would be eligible to enter into a lottery for one of two vacation options. One offers a nostalgia trip back into the college years with a one-week stay in Circle Apartments any time during the month of July. The other option is a weekend stay in the Stratton Creek Inn in Newfield. For questions, contact [email protected].

$1495
$2000