$1275
$2000

College Briefs April 21

MLK Scholars will share stories and views on social justice issues

The Center for the Study of Culture, Race and Ethnicity at Ithaca College will be hosting a luncheon from noon to 1 p.m. Thursday. The event will feature a presentation about the different definitions of community. Additionally, attendees will discover how the experiences of oppressed groups are stories of resilience and survival.

The Ithaca College Martin Luther King Scholars will present their personal experiences from their four years at the college in the form of staged interviews and spoken word. The scholars will share how these personal experiences and other observations have impacted their views of social justice issues on a national and global scale, and how this has shaped their personal identities. The Martin Luther King Scholars scholars engage in research, travel and participate in campus discussions about issues regarding diversity awareness.   

This event will take place in Emerson Suite B and is free and open to the public.

Cornell Law School celebrates 130th anniversary with a play 

The Savoyards Musical Theatre Ltd. will be performing Gilbert and Sullivan’s Trial and Jury at 7:30 p.m. April 23 and at 2 p.m. April 24. The April 23  show will take place in the Moot Courtroom at the Cornell Law School, and the April 24 show will be located in the Tompkins County Courthouse at 320 N. Tioga St.

This production honors the 130th anniversary of the Cornell Law School. It also honors the 140th anniversary of the show Trial by Jury. The show examines traditional gender roles and stereotypes through the satirical writing of Gilbert and Sullivan.

This production is directed by Ellen Jackson ’15, of the Ithaca College School of Music. Staff members Anna O’Connell and Nick Roscoe will be featured in the play. Sophomore Magdalyn Chauby, freshman Nicolette Nordmark and junior Judelle White will also be participating in the show. Tickets will be sold at the door and cost $15 for adults and $10 for students.

First candidates announce bid for 2016–17 SGA executive board

IC Office has announced its candidacy for the 2016–17 Student Government Association Executive Board. Senior Evan Layne, current SGA vice president of business and finance, said campaigning began April 18 and will conclude April 28.

Layne, who is also the elections committee chair, said the candidates will speak on behalf of their ticket’s platform at 7 p.m. April 21 in Emerson Suites, room A. Voting will take place on April 28 and 29.

Current SGA President Dominick Recckio said as of April 18, IC Office runs unopposed.

Ticket: IC Office

Student Body President: Marieme Foote

VP of Campus Affairs: Luis Torres

VP of Communications: Dani Weinstein

VP of Academic Affairs: Michele Hau

VP of Business and Finance: Ezeka Allen

Business Leadership Reception and Forum begins annual series

There will be a Business Leadership Reception and Forum at 4 p.m. April 28. This is the first event in an annual series that unites alumni from the investment industry with students.

This series will focus on different career paths, life after college and leadership in the finance industry. The panel presentation will take place in Dorothy D. and Roy H Park Center for Business and Sustainable Enterprise 111. Following the presentation, the campus community will be invited to attend a networking reception from 5–6 p.m. in the Upper Atrium of the Park Center for Business.

Public Safety Alert issued at IC The Office of Public Safety and Emergency Management is investigating a report of “forcible touching” reported on campus around 11:50 p.m. April 16 near the tennis courts and Parking Lot S, according to the Public Safety Alert sent to the campus community.

According to the alert, a female victim reported the suspect “touched her buttocks and groin with his hand,” as she was walking in the parking lot.

The suspect is described as being a white male in his late teens or early twenties, wearing a red plaid button-down shirt and a red hat and carrying a black backpack.

The alert urged anyone with information about the incident to contact Public Safety or to leave an anonymous message on its hotline at 607-274-3333.

Sport Media to host Color Splash Fun Run to benefit youth programs

On April 24, the Ithaca College sport management and media students in collaboration with the Cornell Cooperative Extension will be hosting the Color Splash Fun Run on the Cayuga Waterfront Trail. This run serves as a fundraiser for Cornell Cooperative Extension youth programs. 

The path will begin and finish at the Stewart Park Pavilion. Participants will be splashed with colorful nontoxic cornstarch. Anyone is welcome to participate. A 3-kilometer race will take place at 9 a.m., and a 5-kilometer race at 10 a.m.

$1275
$2000