$1260
$2000

College Briefs April 27

ANA GAVILANES
Local artist Cay Lafergola-Wesser runs a stand for The Crafty Fox Shoppe during Ithacon, an annual comic convention at Ithaca College. This year, Ithacon took place April 22 and 23 and featured comic books stands, artists and cosplayers.

Guggenheim Foundation awards a Park professor as a 2023 fellow

Idrissou Mora-Kpai, assistant professor in the Department of Media Arts, Sciences and Studies, was announced as the 2023 Guggenheim fellow. The Guggenheim Fellowship is awarded by the John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation to individuals who have demonstrated scholarship and creative promise in their fields. Through the fellowship, Mora-Kpai will continue producing “Border Life,” a documentary about the town of Seme which is located between Nigeria and Benin.

Three seniors recognized for research at science conference

Seniors Sophia Roberts, Lily Metzger and Anna Sinclair were recognized at the Eastern Colleges Science Conference for their research. Roberts received the Best Presentation Award in biochemistry and health, and Metzger and Sinclair’s microbiology poster presentation was the highest scoring one. ECSC aims to cultivate interest in undergraduate research and allows students to collaborate with advisers or independently present research

Ithaca College’s BOLD Program organizes interview workshop

The BOLD Program at Ithaca College is hosting a workshop from 12:10 to 1:05 p.m. April 27 in BUS 103 titled “Strategies for a Successful Interview with Mame Ndiaye.” Mame Ndiaye, assistant director in the Office of New Student and Transition Programs, will be leading the workshop and will teach participants different approaches to successfully give a job interview. Ndiaye will focus on teaching participants to succinctly answer interview questions and thus impress recruiters. Ndiaye will also talk about how these skills can be applied to everyday life to feel more confident and stand out in an ambitious environment. All questions and accommodation requests regarding the workshop can be directed to BOLD program director Samantha Elebiary at [email protected].

IT@IC and Contract Team holds training workshops for renewal

The Office of Information Technology and the Contract Review Team are hosting a training for renewal contracts from 2 to 3 p.m. April 27 via Microsoft Teams. The training will teach participants how they can submit contracts through a new program in TeamDynamix, relevant documents to be uploaded along with the submission, the general procedure, workflow, and timeline, including the status of the submitted contract. IT and the Contract Review Team strongly urge anyone who owns contracts to attend the session. For those who will not be able to attend the session, a recording will be available. Individuals interested in receiving the recording can request it through Intercom. Participants are encouraged to read an article about contracts available on Knowledge Base. All requests for accommodations must be directed to Jenna Edwards, program coordinator in the Office of Engagement and Client Technologies at [email protected].

Two slow read classes are being offered to students for Fall 2023

The School of Humanities and Sciences is offering students the opportunity to take a Slow Read class for Fall 2023. Any student, regardless of major or year, is free to participate in the slow read class. The nature of this class is deliberately at a slow speed to promote a deep understanding of difficult readings. The first slow paced class will be offered by Megan Graham, assistant professor in the Department of Writing for two credits. The class will be reading “How to Read Now,” from 4 to 5:40 p.m. on every Monday of the semester. The reading and the class will focus on an anthology of nonfiction essays by Elaine Castillo and will deep dive into reading in the present political environment and circumstances. Tatiana Patrone, an associate professor in the Department of Philosophy and Religion, is offering another slow read course from 1 to 1:50 p.m. every Monday of the semester. The class will be reading “Beyond Good and Evil” by Friedrich Nietzsche and will focus on morals, ethics and religion. All questions regarding slow read, upcoming slow read classes and possible suggestions for slow read books should be directed to Bob Sullivan, professor in the Department of Literatures in English.

IC Strike and Advocacy Center organize rally on The Commons

The Advocacy Center and IC Strike, the college’s student organization that focuses on advocacy and activism for survivors of sexual assault and violence, are organizing a march called Take Back The Night at 6:15 p.m. April 28 from the Textor Ball. Participants will also be joining members from other local organizations that advocate for the cause. In addition to just a march, Take Back The Night is also a vigil that aims to provide survivors of sexual assault and violence a safe space to express themselves. After meeting at the college, the march will move toward Ho Plaza in Cornell University by 6:30 p.m. At 6:45 p.m. it will reach the Greater Ithaca Activities Center at 310 West Court Street. From there on, the rally will begin at 7 p.m. at the Bernie Milton Pavillion on The Commons. On April 25, IC Strike organized a poster-making event leading up to this march. All questions, concerns and requests for accommodation should be directed to senior Lindsay Sayer, co-president of IC Strike, via email at [email protected] or via phone at 267-800-4688.

Sport Management offers three online asynchronous ICC courses

The Department of Sport Management is offering three summer courses for students. These courses will be held online and will be asynchronous. They are open to first-year students as well and do not have any prerequisites. International Sport is one of the courses and will be taught by Rachel Madsen, associate professor and chair of the Department of Sport Management. The class will fulfill the Diversity and Social Science requirement of the Integrated Core Curriculum and also counts as a Liberal Arts course. The course will be offered in Summer Session 1 from May 30 to July 5. College Sport will be offered as a Liberal Arts course during the May Session from May 15 to May 26. It will be taught by Wonyul Bae, associate professor in the Department of Sport Management. Sport Brands in Crisis is another course being offered as a Liberal Arts designated course during Summer Session 2 from July 10 to Aug. 11. The course will be taught by Annemarie Farrell, associate professor in the Department of Sport Management. All questions, queries, concerns and requests for accommodation regarding these summer courses can be directed to Madsen via email at [email protected] or via phone at 607-274-5158.

$1260
$2000