$1275
$2000

College Briefs March 10

Student trustee application open

The application process for the two-year student trustee position is now open. The term runs from May 2016 to May 2018. A student trustee is a full voting member of the Ithaca College Board of Trustees and provides the student perspective. They attend the three scheduled board of trustee meetings each year, which happen in October, February and May.

Additional meetings may be called as necessary, including meetings for committees the member may serve on. The trustee will also participate and march in Commencement and Convocation. The student will participate in full board meetings and serve on two committees. The current committees are Audit; Buildings and Grounds; Compensation/Assessment; Educational Affairs; Executive; Enrollment and Communications; Finance; Governance; Institutional Advancement/Campaign; and Investment.

Candidates must be freshman or sophomore students in good academic and judicial standing and have to commit to staying on campus for the full two years. Applicants should be available the weekend of April 2–3 for a 30-minute interview with the screening committee. Applications open March 1, and the deadline to apply is 5 p.m. March 24.

Enrollment VP application process moves forward to interview stage

The application deadline  for the position of vice president of enrollment management closed March 4. The committee now shifts its focus to reviewing the resumes and determining the candidates who will move forward in the process.

Interviews with candidates will be conducted within the next several weeks, and the finalists will be brought to campus in April.

Honor society to hold book drive to benefit IC Books Thru Bars

The Ithaca College chapter of Phi Kappa Phi will be holding a book drive for IC Books Thru Bars, a student-run program that provides books to incarcerated persons in New York prisons. Collection bins can be found around campus from March 7 to March 25.

The bins will be located in the Campus Center, Rothschild Place, Williams Hall, Roy H. Park Hall, the Dorothy D. and Roy H. Park Center for Business and Sustainable Enterprise, the Whalen Center, Center for Health Sciences and Human Performance and the Peggy Ryan Williams Center.

Cornell president dies of cancer

Cornell University’s first female president died of colon cancer March 6 after less than a year in office.

Cornell announced the death of Elizabeth Garrett, 52, March 7. Garrett was inaugurated as Cornell’s 13th president Sept. 18, 2015. Garrett released a statement Feb. 8 announcing she was entering an “aggressive treatment program” for her diagnosis of colon cancer.

Robert Harrison, Cornell University Board of Trustees chairman, said in his announcement to the community regarding Garrett’s death that she was the “quintessential Cornellian.”

Provost Michael Kotlikoff was named as the acting president Feb. 19, according to a Cornell announcement.

IC plans network maintenance that will disrupt network access

Digital Instruction and Information Services is planning major network maintenance that will occur in the late evening March 12 into midday March 13. The maintenance is required to replace aging components of the network infrastructure.

All campus computing systems and services, including MyHome, Parnassus, HomerConnect, Sakai, Mentor, network printing and more will be unavailable from anywhere on or off campus. Outlook email and calendar will be accessible from residence halls, off campus and mobile devices that are not connected to the Ithaca
College network. Academic and administrative buildings will not have any network access, wired or wireless. Residence halls will have normal Internet access only to external sites not connected to the college.

The maintenance work is expected to take several hours. The goal is to complete the work between 10 p.m. March 12 and early morning March 13.

Upcoming Rainbow Reception on April 15 open for reservations

The 14th annual Rainbow Reception will be held April 15. The Rainbow Reception is a celebration of Ithaca College’s graduating lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, asexual and allied seniors and graduate students. Reservations are required.

The event will feature music and light appetizers. Friends and family are invited to attend, as well as students who are not seniors. Rainbow honor cords will also be given out. The event is sponsored by the Diversity Awareness Committee and the Center for LGBT Education, Outreach and Services. Questions should be directed to the Center for LGBT Education, Outreach and Services at 607-274-7394 or [email protected].

$1275
$2000