$1275
$2000

College Briefs Oct. 29

Students invited to attend class on confidence for women at work

The Office of Career Services will be hosting a workshop called Professional Confidence for Women at 3 p.m. Nov. 3. During the session, issues like the gender pay gap, double standards and the “superwoman syndrome” will be explored. Strategies specific to combating these and other issues will be explained as well as ways for women to create success in work and in life. To register, sign in to ICHired by using your Netpass. All students are encouraged to create a profile and register for workshops on ICHired to save a seat. Students who wish to receive SLI credit for this workshop must register in advance.

Office of Human Resources plans benefit re-enrollment work fair

This year’s re-enrollment will be held Nov. 3–20. All eligible faculty and staff can review their current benefit elections as well as attend the Annual Employee Benefits and Work/Life Fair. This event will serve as an opportunity to ask questions about Ithaca College’s benefit partners and find out about the value-added services that are offered by the college’s  benefit partners.

The Office of Human Resources will be hosting a raffle with prizes donated from several vendors. All employees attending must show a college ID to enter.

Student housing project faces setback from Ithaca city mayor

Ithaca Mayor Svante Myrick announced he would oppose a tax abatement for the State Street Triangle building, a proposed 11-story residence building for the downtown area that would be marketed primarily to college students.

In an Oct. 14 Facebook post, the mayor cited the project’s strict focus on student housing and the proposed location of the building in relation to the street as motivation for his decision. The controversial project, which would be built across the street from the eastern entrance of The Commons, is being developed by Texas-based Campus Advantage.

“People think that some kind of student housing downtown would be great, but because … it’s such a large project with so much housing, everybody would like to see it potentially serve other markets, too,” said Lisa Nicholas, senior planner on the staff of the City of Ithaca’s Planning and Development Board.

Campus Advantage had previously altered the proposal to include housing for people other than students, but the changes were not enough to satisfy the Planning Board, Nicholas said.

The developers can either choose to revise their plans for the project to gain the mayor’s approval for the tax abatement, or develop a budgetary plan to move forward without it, Nicholas said. In his statement, Myrick urged the project’s developers to reimagine their plans for the site.

Mark Evans, media contact for Campus Advantage, confirmed that Campus Advantage and its partners are considering revisions.

Music school hires administrator

The School of Music has appointed Shea Scruggs to serve as the new director of music admission and assistant dean for preparatory and summer programs. He will begin Nov. 2.

“We’re thrilled to have Shea join us this fall,” said Karl Paulnack, dean of the School of Music, in a statement. “His considerable accomplishments in music, and his diverse and broad experiences in organizational management, marketing, statistical analysis and entrepreneurship will be of great value to Ithaca College in a key leadership role such as this.”

Scruggs graduated from Swarthmore College  in 2005 with a Bachelor of Arts in English literature. He also received a diploma of music in oboe from the Curtis Institute, which he attended while at Swarthmore. He received a master’s degree in business administration from Cornell University in 2015.

He served as the assistant principaloboe of the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra, acting principal oboe of the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra and principal oboe of the San Francisco Opera.

Clubs offer free Cortaca ticket to students volunteering at tailgate 

Members of the Bureau of Concerts, IC After Dark, the Student Activities Board and Students Today Alumni Tomorrow are hosting the IC Terraces Tailgate in the Terrace Dining Hall before the Cortaca football game from 8 a.m.—noon Nov. 14 and are looking for volunteers to assist. Volunteer shifts are 7:30–10:30 a.m. and 9:30 a.m.–12:30 p.m. Volunteers will help with
setup and cleanup, staffing the “tailgate” games, face painting and distribution of tickets for the door prizes.

Volunteers will receive a free game ticket, in addition to the one students can pick up during designated hours Nov. 2–4, and a free T-shirt. There will be a brief mandatory training session prior to Nov. 14.

If you are interested in serving as a volunteer, contact Lynne Pierce by email at [email protected] by Oct. 30.

$1275
$2000