$1275
$2000

College Briefs Sept. 10

Burglary in East Tower Sept. 5

The Office of Public Safety and Emergency Management is investigating a report of burglary, which occurred on the eighth floor of East Tower between 9:15 p.m. Sept. 5 and 2:20 a.m. Sept. 6.

According to an email alert sent out at 6:48 a.m., a resident reported $100 and a $25 Visa gift card taken from the room. The other resident reported approximately $100 in cash taken from within the same room.

According to the alert, there is currently no suspect information to report. However, this occurrence followed a previous incident in which one resident reported a wallet containing approximately $80 in cash was stolen from the same room between 9 a.m. and 2 p.m. Aug. 28. The previous incident was not reported to Public Safety at the time.

Both residents report that the room was occupied during the hours of the theft, and several “individuals/acquaintances” were in and out of the room during both incidents.

In light of the incident, Public Safety has hung signs up on all of the residence hall doors, urging anyone with information relating to the incident to contact its office and reminding members of the community to “store valuables in a secure area, always lock their offices, rooms and apartments and immediately report any suspicious activity to the Office of Public Safety and Emergency Management.”

IC introduces new ICare Team

The Office of Student Life has announced that the Assisting Students at Risk initiative has transitioned to the Ithaca College Awareness Response and Education Team.

According to an announcement by the college, the ICare Team is a small, confidential group of campus officials who will be responsible for responding to concerns regarding  the safety of the campus community and the well-being of individual students.

The announcement listed the goals of the team, which include providing a centralized place for faculty, staff, students and family members to communicate concerns regarding a student; providing education to the campus community on risk issues and resources for students; proactively addressing issues students are experiencing to promote their academic success and overall well-being and help students avoid more serious difficulties.

They then provided examples of student behaviors that would be of concern. These examples include a student who is withdrawn and has limited social support, a student who is engaging in a pattern of concerning substance use, and a student who is verbally or physically aggressive toward others and whose mood and functioning have significantly declined.

The announcement concluded with pointing college community members to the online form.

“If a student is demonstrating behaviors of concern, any member of the Ithaca College community — faculty, staff, students, family members — is encouraged to complete the online ICare Report, which can be found at http://www.ithaca.edu/sacl/services/icareteam/icarereport/, in order to access the student help.”

New procurement tool rolling out

The Office of Procurement has announced a new online procurement tool.

IC Marketplace is Ithaca College’s new e-procurement tool and the application by which current and future purchasing-related activities will reside.

IC Marketplace will be replacing the majority of purchasing-related transactions that were previously supported by iProcurement.

The production rollout is underway, and someone from the IC Marketplace implementation team will be contacting student organizations soon with training-session details.

For more information regarding your organization’s current buyer- and approver-training schedules, please contact Jo Anne Rosato, IC Marketplace Training Lead.

On Sept. 10, the college’s “Dollar and $ense” meeting will focus on helping faculty learn about the new procurement tool.

Search for dean of H&S begins

Ithaca College has announced its search committee for a new dean of the School of Humanities and Sciences.

After Leslie Lewis left the position last spring to become provost at Goucher College in Maryland, faculty and staff were asked to self-nominate to be a part of the search committee. The committee includes 10 college employees. The Student Government Association nominated three potential students to be a part of the committee. Of the three, sophomore Michele Hau, a culture and communication major, was chosen.

Provost Benjamin Rifkin assembled the committee in consultation with President Tom Rochon.

The committee is being chaired by Diane Gayeski, dean of the Roy H. Park School of Communications. Outside consulting committee AGB Search has been selected to provide consulting services for the search.

$1275
$2000