$1520
$2000

$1520
$2000

College Briefs March 31

Kevin Yu
Freshmen Chloe Harris and Owen Burns embrace one another in a scene during “Constellations,” a play performed by IC Second Stage on March 25. The play follows the endless possibilities of the characters’ relationship.

Mental health support offered through ICare referral process

In an effort to support struggling students, the college has asked for individuals who are having difficulty managing their mental health, or know someone else who is, to reach out for help. Individuals can do this through the ICare referral process or an Academic Alert submission if there is concern about a student’s academic success or participation. An ICare referral may be helpful if a student is experiencing unmanageable distress, exhibiting significant changes in mood or daily functioning, expressing thoughts of suicide or other acts of self-harm, or becoming increasingly isolated or disconnected. Once a referral is made, the Office of Case Management will contact the referred student to offer support and to help connect them with resources on and off campus that may be helpful. For more information, contact the office at 607-274-7731.

College seeks student feedback in focus group for ICare outreach

The college is seeking students to join a group taking part in a small discussion held virtually at noon April 13 or 3 p.m. April 15 to give feedback on the Office of Case Management’s ICare outreach process. The focus group is scheduled to take no more than an hour. All participants will be entered in a raffle to win one of two $25 gift cards to the college bookstore. For those interested in participating, the college is requesting individuals fill out a survey located on Intercom or by emailing [email protected] to receive further information about the focus group.

Concert and discussion to be held on Judeo-Islamic soundscapes

The Ithaca College Jewish Studies Program and the School of Music is hosting guest speaker Samuel Torjman Thomas, ethnomusicologist and multi-instrumentalist, to present a talk and concert on Mediterranean Encounters: Judeo-Islamic Soundscapes. The event will start with a pre-concert talk at 7 p.m. and the concert is scheduled to begin at 7:45 p.m. April 10 at Hockett Family Recital Hall. The event is free and open to the public. The pre-concert talk will be a discussion with Torjman Thomas on the interrelationship of Jewish and Muslim music, where he will provide foundational understanding of the musical languages of the region. The concert will then present a blending of North African and Levantine song traditions with vocals, oud, violin, nay and percussion, as well as with songs in Hebrew, Arabic, Spanish and Ladino. Torjman Thomas teaches ethnomusicology and Sephardic Jewish studies at City University of New York. He is also a faculty member for the Academy of Jewish Religion Cantorial Programs. Individuals with disabilities requiring accommodations or those with questions can contact Rebecca Lesses, coordinator of Jewish studies, at [email protected].

IC program seeks peer leaders to assist exploratory students

The Exploratory Program is looking for peer ambassadors and leaders (PAL) to join its team. Students interested in applying must submit a short letter expressing their interest in this position in addition to a one-page resume. All components of the application should be sent to exploratory@ ithaca.edu no later than April 1. Once the submissions are received, the program will reach out to interested students to schedule a 20-minute interview. PALs have the role of connecting with prospective students visiting the college campus and helping them learn more about what the Exploratory Program offers. PALs also help facilitate class discussions, give short presentations on exploratory class projects and events, and offer new students insights into college life. As a PAL, students would be working closely with faculty members who teach Exploring the Options as well as students taking the course.

College prepares for Giving Day to raise donations for campus

Ithaca College’s Giving Day is scheduled for April 26. The event is a 24-hour period when the community — including alumni, faculty, staff, family and friends — come together to support programs at the college by donating. The Spring 2021 Giving Day raised over $1.8 million from over 3,400 donors. The event consists of hourly challenges, matching funds and leaderboard bonuses that provide an opportunity to win extra money for participants’ favorite school, department, sport or club. In the days leading up to Giving Day, the college will be giving updates about what this year’s celebration will look like.

Registration workshop to be held for scheduling Fall 2022 courses

For students in need of help registering for Fall 2022 courses, the Exploratory Program’s peer ambassadors and leaders (PALs) will be answering questions at Road Trip to Registration. The information event will be from 7 to 9 p.m. April 6 in Friends 207. Students should bring their laptops but extra computers will be provided if students do not have one. The event coordinators encourage students to come early if they can and will be providing candy for attendees. PALs will be giving tips and tricks so registering for courses will be less stressful. Everyone is welcome to attend the workshop session. Registration for the event is on Engage and is requested but not required. This event happens once each semester to prepare for the next. Any questions about the event can be directed to [email protected].

Peer career advisers to be hired for fall as paid paraprofessionals

The Office of Career Services is seeking committed and dependable student leaders who are motivated to help others and take advantage of opportunities for their own professional development. Students who match this description are encouraged to apply for the role of peer career advisers (PCA) in the Office of Career Services starting in Fall 2022. This is a paid position where students will work as paraprofessionals. PCAs help to educate and provide assistance to their peers in regard to career development through drop-ins and presentations. In addition to the work with peers, PCAs represent the office at events and tabling on campus. Other benefits to being a PCA are exposure to thousands of job and internship opportunities and chances to network with recruiters and alumni. Interested students must apply for the listed 1002 job in the HR Cloud with a resume and cover letter.

$1520
$2000