$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

College Briefs 3/28

Caleb Kaufman
Left to right: Jesse Giordano, Ben Frame and Daniel Booth Dance during Lost Mary’s set at The Young Blood Discovery Festival on Saturday March 23. The music festival invited bands to play at Deep Dive, an ithaca music venue and bar, for a night of fun.

Wear teal April 2 to show support for sexual assault survivors

The Prevention Education Network at Ithaca College is inviting students to show their support for sexual assault survivors April 2 during Sexual Assault Awareness Month. Teal is the color of sexual violence prevention. The Prevention Education Network is also hosting events for sexual assault throughout April. The first event will also be 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. April 2 in the North Foyer.  The event is called the Ithaca College’s Face of Prevention Resource Event and will allow students to learn more about the resources across campus and support Sexual Assault Awareness Month. The Prevention Education Network’s theme for this year is “Building Connected Communities,” which helps reduce the likelihood of sexual abuse, assault and harassment in communities. For more information, students can visit the National Sexual Violence Resource Center’s website.

Tim Reynolds ‘14 will conduct keynote for Whalen Symposium

Ithaca College alum Tim Reynolds, assistant professor of exercise science and athletic training in the School of Health and Human Performance, will be giving a keynote speech at 2:30 p.m. April 11 in Emerson Suites. Reynolds will talk about how collaborating with faculty members and classmates at the college inspired him to launch “KettleShell” and equipped him for a successful career in physical therapy and business. Reynolds started as a physical therapy student at the college and is now an entrepreneur and a professor. He is also the co-author of “Movers and Mentors,” a collection of more than 75 interviews with professionals in the field of movement and science. 

Biology Department to host a seminar with an alum March 29

The biology department at Ithaca College offers a seminar series each semester offering a broad range of topics in biology. The seminars are open to the entire campus community. Leanee Donahue ’14 will be presenting “Skin Cancer Susceptibility in the Eastern Spiny Mouse” at 1 p.m. March 29 in CNS 112. Students are invited to meet with Donahue in a small group following the talk to get questions answered related to the topic or inquire about different careers in biology. Individuals with disabilities requiring accommodations should contact Susan Witherup at [email protected] or 607-274-3511. Requests for accommodations should be made as soon as possible.

Express now open to provide free wellness supplies for students 

Walter’s Whaleness Express is a private, free resource for Ithaca College students to order wellness supplies. The resource is offered by the Center for Health Promotion in collaboration with the Information Technology and Analytics Team and Ithaca College Mail Services. Students can place orders for different wellness tools and have the option to either pick up their orders at the Center for Health Promotion or can have them delivered to their smart parcel lockers. The new service was introduced to help increase access to wellness supplies to Ithaca College. Supplies that are available include sexual health supplies like condoms and dental dams, sleep kits, substance use supplies like Fentayl and Xylazine test strips, tick kits and quit kits to reduce or quit smoking or vaping. Any questions about the express can be emailed to the Center for Health Promotion Team at [email protected]

Nominations open for the Ithaca seminar peer leader program

Ithaca College is looking for students to become peer leaders in the Ithaca Seminar Program for next semester. Through the program, trained peer educators will assist in facilitating the transition to college for first-year students while gaining professional experience. Students from every major are welcome and the college is seeking to develop a team with a broad spectrum of identities, abilities and backgrounds. Peer leaders will serve as a welcoming, more experienced resource to incoming students and will offer new students a relatable perspective while serving as an example of leadership on and off campus. Peer leaders will be required to complete a 0–1 credit experiential learning course on facilitating student success, facilitate discussions and presentations regarding student transition to college, use communication skills and resources to engage first-year students in and out of class, connect students to resources at the college, encourage campus resources and demonstrate respect for all students. The campus community can nominate a student through the peer leader nomination form.  Any questions about the program can be directed to Elizabeth Bleicher, dean of Student Success and Retention  at [email protected]

Information session to focus on study abroad opportunities in Italy 

CIS abroad, an affiliated partner of Ithaca College, will hold an information session at 4 p.m. March 28 in Friends 207. The information session will focus on study abroad programs in Rome and Sorrento, Italy. Students can learn about what the programs have to offer and enjoy Italian hot chocolate. Individuals requiring accommodations should contact [email protected]. Requests for accommodations should be made as soon as possible. CIS Abroad also offers affiliated programs in Japan, Scotland and Thailand. The organization offers fall, spring and summer options for coursework and internships. Students can come to the meeting and ask about any other affiliated programs. Students can also schedule an individual meeting with the CIS Abroad representative March 28 by emailing [email protected]

Submission deadline approaches for Annual Writing Contest

Every spring, the Department of Writing hosts an annual writing contest. Students can submit creative work of all kinds. Faculty will judge the work according to categories of first-year essay, poetry, short story, hybrid story, critical writing, personal essay/creative nonfiction, feature/magazine and humor/satire. Winners and runners-up will have the opportunity to read from their work during an annual awards ceremony held May 3. Winners will also receive a gift card for Buffalo Street Books. For details including submission deadlines and guidelines for the competition, students can visit the writing contest website. The deadline for the contest is April 1 at 5 p.m. and late entries are not accepted. Submissions will receive confirmation within 72 hours. All submissions should be sent to [email protected]. Students can submit to multiple categories but can not submit more than one piece of work to the same category. Any questions can be directed to Jim Stafford at [email protected].