$1620
$2000

$1620
$2000

College Briefs Nov. 7

Mei Dennison
From the left, sophomore Garen Igho, junior D’Andre Walker and junior Brian Martinez roasting smores by a fire at the BIOPOC Unity Center’s S’mores on the Quad event with BRASA and B4B on Nov. 3.

Women’s Mentoring Network to host lunch workshop

The Women’s Mentoring Network is organizing a brown bag lunch workshop from 12 to 1 p.m. Nov. 15 in Taughannock Falls Room. The workshop will feature Jennifer Potter, head Ithaca College’s women’s track and field coach, who will share her experiences about working as a woman in a field dominated by men. Potter will specifically talk about mentorship and learning from mistakes. The event is meant for faculty and staff members. Refreshments will be provided at the workshop, but participants are encouraged to get their own lunches. Interested individuals are not required to RSVP, but can do so through IC Engage. 

Office of Student Conduct looking for student board members

The Office of Student Conduct is looking for students to join their Student board members for the 2023–24 academic year. Student board members are expected to sit in on hearings with staff and faculty members and hear academic and non-academic conduct cases. The entire board will assess what kind of action should be taken. To be eligible, students should be in good academic standing, in good standing with the Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards and willing to participate in a half-day training session before joining the board. Usually, student board members serve one to three times a semester and hearings last from one to three hours. Interested individuals can apply to be a student board member here. Individuals seeking accommodations should call or email 607-274-3375 or email [email protected]

Ithacapella performing block two concert

Ithacappella, Ithaca College’s all-male identifying a cappella group, will be hosting its Block II concert at 8 p.m. Nov. 11 in Emerson Suites. The concert will feature the group’s nine newest members and will be livestreamed beginning at 7:45 p.m. on the group’s YouTube channel. The concert is free for college members. Individuals seeking accommodation should contact [email protected]

Strategic communication course to collaborate with local entities 

Diane Gayeski, professor in the Department of Strategic Communication, is offering a Spring 2024 course called “Communicating with Stakeholders.” The course will teach students how to effectively communicate with stakeholders, like community members, employees, clients and donors. Students will have the opportunity to work with employees from WRFI-FM, a local radio station, to create a strategic plan, and with the Downtown Ithaca Alliance to work on an electric bus service grant. Students will be able to work on their portfolios through these opportunities that are considered live case studies. Students who are interested but do not meet the prerequisites for the class should email Gayeski at [email protected].  

Provost to engage with campus community over coffee and cookies

Melanie Stein, provost and senior vice president for academic affairs, will be engaging with the campus community from 2:30 to 4 p.m. Nov. 10 in the Muller Faculty Lounge. Deans of some of the schools will also be present at the event. Coffee and cookies will be provided and participants will be able to converse with senior leadership about their questions and concerns. Individuals seeking accommodation should email Michelle Foster, executive assistant to the Provost, via email at [email protected] or via phone at 607-274-3113. 

Dollars and sense presentation to discuss sustainability efforts and financial updates 

Scott Doyle, director of the Office of Energy Management and Sustainability, and Tim Downs, chief financial officer and vice president of finance and administration, will be facilitating the Dollars and Sense presentation at 9 a.m. Nov. 8 in Emerson Suites. While the presentation will start at 9, the event will begin at 8:30 a.m. to allow attendees to connect with each other beforehand. Light refreshments will be provided and the presentation will address the college’s sustainability efforts and financial updates. The presentation and event are open to faculty, staff and students.