$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

College Briefs Nov. 15

From+left%2C+senior+Jason+Pohl%2C+sophomore+Kalyani+Jagadale+and+senior+Shakthe+Priya+Sankar+dance+to+Bollywood+music+at+the+Light+It+Up+festival+Nov.+12+in+IC+Square.+This+event+celebrated+Diwali%2C+an+Indian+Festival+of+Lights+that+celebrates+the+victory+of+good+over+evil.++
Prakriti Panwar
From left, senior Jason Pohl, sophomore Kalyani Jagadale and senior Shakthe Priya Sankar dance to Bollywood music at the ‘Light It Up’ festival Nov. 12 in IC Square. This event celebrated Diwali, an Indian Festival of Lights that celebrates the victory of good over evil.

Campus community members needed for Middle States Accreditation working groups

Ithaca College is seeking student, staff and faculty volunteers to serve on the self-study team for the Middle States Commission on Higher Education accreditation process. The MSCHE is a non-profit organization that provides accreditation — recognition of a quality education —  for higher education institutions through peer evaluation. The college participates in the two-year accreditation process, which starts every eight years.

The college is seeking campus community members to serve on the working groups, which will meet often starting in Spring 2024 to study all elements of the college experience, including the college’s goals and mission, leadership, administration and construction and implementation of the student learning experience. The college is looking for individuals to share all feedback, including criticism, within the working groups. Two co-chairs from faculty or staff will lead each committee, and their work will be included in an honest selfstudy that will be presented to Middle States in Fall 2025. The accreditation team will visit the college in Spring 2026. Individuals can find the link to volunteer for the committees in the Intercom post. 

Applications now open for 2024 Summer Scholars Program

Applications opened Nov. 13 for the School of Humanities and Sciences’ 2024 Summer Scholar program. The program offers paid positions for students enrolled in any major in the School of Humanities and Sciences to conduct full-time research, creative inquiry or scholarship projects during the summer with a faculty mentor from the School of Humanities and Sciences. Students who participate in the program will work for eight weeks starting May 29 and will receive a standard $4,800 compensation. Students from the School of Humanities and Sciences can learn more about the program and apply online using the link on the Summer Scholars webpage. All applications must be submitted by 5 p.m. Feb. 28, 2023. Questions can be emailed to [email protected] and requests for accommodation can be sent to [email protected]

Food pantry shares reduced hours for November break

Prunty’s Pantry, Ithaca College’s on-campus food pantry, will remain open during November break, but with reduced hours. The food pantry will be open from 12:15–2 p.m. Nov. 21, 12–2 p.m Nov. 22 and 4–6 p.m. Nov. 24. The pantry will be closed Nov. 20 and Nov. 23. The pantry will not enforce the usual one-bag limit, and students are encouraged to stock up on food. Individuals who have a food emergency can contact Karen Walls via email at  [email protected] to receive assistance.

Composting program returns to Garden Apartments

Eco Reps and the Office of Energy Management and Sustainability are coordinating the Garden Apartments composting program. Students interested in the program can complete the link in the Intercom post to sign up. All compost items will be collected each Sunday around 11:30 a.m. outside of the stairway doors. More information about the program’s start date and directions for participation will be posted on the Eco Reps Instagram and emailed to those who sign up once enough apartments have registered. Eco Reps is also looking for volunteers to help pick up and replace the composting bags each Sunday. All questions about the program and requests for accommodation can be emailed to [email protected]

Minicourse explores starting entrepreneurial ventures during college

The Cultural Identity (GCOM 29265) mini-course will consider resources, concepts and opportunities that can help students create a small business, especially one that features their cultural identities or passions, during college. The course will feature alumni guest speakers who started their own brands and products while they were students at the college. The speakers include Eden Strachan ’21, founder of the Black Girls Don’t Get Love event, film and book franchise; Rita Bunatal ’16, founder of the multimedia creative agency Malaika Collective; Pima Mbwana ’15, CEO of Pima Mbwana Brands; and Olivia Carpenter22 of Via’s Cookies.

The course will allow students to review structures for business planning and develop ideas for business pitches. The course will consist of some digital introductions and readings, which will be followed by interactive presentations and work time Feb. 16 afternoon, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. and 2 to 5 p.m. Feb. 17 and 12 to 3 p.m. Feb. 18. The course is one credit and has no prerequisites. Individuals who have questions or requests for accommodations can contact Diane Gayeski at [email protected] or 607-274-3912. 

JED Campus Task Force offer mental health training session for faculty

The JED Campus Task Force will hold a You Can Help a Student JED Mental Health training from 1:30 to 3:30 p.m Nov. 17 in room 319 in the Gannett Center. This training will provide information about mental health, including suicide, and give faculty members tools and skills to support students. The training will help faculty members to  understand their role in students’ support system, recognize current trends in college students’ mental health, recognize signs of distress in students and learn how to discuss them with students, and understand the resources on- and off-campus that can help students. The training is open to all faculty members but is limited to 30 people. Faculty should register for the training on IC Engage. Requests for accommodations should be directed to Michelle Goode at [email protected] or 607-274-3136. 

Visiting Artist Series with Joan Linder rescheduled

The Department of Art, Art History and Architecture has rescheduled the visiting artist series presentation with Joan Linder for 6 p.m. Nov. 30 in the Handwerker Gallery. Linder crafts large-scale images using the traditional medium of a quill pen and ink bottle. Her recent work includes lifesize depictions of objects and figures. Linder’s work has been shown at venues like the Museum of Fine Arts Boston, The Buffalo AKG Museum and the Davis Museum and featured in publications like Art News, Art in America, the New York Times and Hyperallergic. Requests for accommodations for her presentation should be directed to Paul Nicholson at [email protected] or 607-274-3548.

Gender Affirming Closet open in LGBT Center 

The LGBT Center opened its new Gender Affirming Closet Nov. 7. The closet includes clothing, shoes and accessories and is free and open to all members of the campus community. The closet is open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and located in the LGBT Center in Towers Concourse 110. The closet is stocked by donations, which can be dropped off in the box outside of the LGBT Center.