$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

Green Day tackles media issues in ‘Saviors’

Courtesy of Reprise Records
Green Day’s newest album, “Saviors,” features 15 new songs and is the band’s 14th studio album over their nearly 40-year history.

4.0 out of 5.0 stars

Since 1987, the popular American punk rock band Green Day has graced the ears of many listeners throughout the years with songs like “Burnout,” “Letterbomb” and “Good Riddance.” Their edgy presence, catchy lyrics and timeless messages with albums like “American Idiot” —  which is centered around xenophobia after 9/11 — has stuck with listeners for many years. Now, in 2024, the trio has released their 14th studio album “Saviors,” bringing a generation of old and new fans together.

In “Saviors,” released on Jan. 19, the band encourages fans to speak up about important issues in the media like gun violence, the opioid epidemic and homelessness in the United States. To Green Day, staying silent solves nothing, and everything said in “Saviors” is loud and proud.  

The first song, “The American Dream is Killing Me,” is an upbeat track that is reminiscent of 90s rock and could be the perfect opening song to a movie from that time period. Some people view the American dream as a good thing. However, Green Day instead sees it as something that is a hindrance on their lives and the lives of others with lyrics like, “Whitewashed upon the beach / My country under siege / On private property / We are not home / Are we not home?” “The American Dream is Killing Me” is the perfect anthem for fans that have conflicting views on the American dream like Green Day does.

One of the highlights of the album, “Dilemma,” is centered around the struggles with addiction, a universal topic that many people struggle with. Lead singer and guitarist Billie Joe Armstrong repeats “I don’t wanna be a dead man walking” several times throughout the song before going into an intricate guitar solo towards the end of the song. “Dilemma” is an inspirational track that encourages listeners to never give in despite the difficulties that lie ahead.

Even though “Saviors” is filled with fast-paced, upbeat songs like “Look Ma, No Brains!” “1981” and “Coma City” — which is expected from the trio — there are a few slow jams that nicely balance out the album and “Bobby Sox” is one of them. In this powerful rock love song, Armstrong celebrates his bisexuality as he sings to both women and men. The song’s simplicity makes it enjoyable and easy on the ears.

“Father to a Son” is a track that tugs at the heartstrings as Armstrong sings about the unconditional love that a father and son have for each other. The sweet melody paired with heartful lyrics like “Is there anything? / A wisdom where your heart is heading to / A place you want more than I could give,” makes this song feel like a lullaby that the band dedicated to their children.

Overall, ‘‘Savior” can be described as a lively, wild and free album. Despite Green Day being around for almost 40 years, the band is still able to capture the sound and essence that has made them popular in their latest album. Filled with powerful messages, captivating lyrics and memorizing melodies, “Saviors” has the perfect mix of nostalgia and modern elements, which is why fans across multiple generations enjoy them.