$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

College Briefs Jan. 30

Junior+Ainsley+Perkins+inspecting+a+Bolex+film+camera%2C+most+often+used+in+Cinema+Production+classes%2C+as+a+Park+Portable+Equipment+%28PPECS%29+employee.+
Maddy Tanzman
Junior Ainsley Perkins inspecting a Bolex film camera, most often used in Cinema Production classes, as a Park Portable Equipment (PPECS) employee.

Novelist Andrés Ordorica (Drama and English ’11) reads from his debut novel 

Andrés Ordorica (Drama and English ’11) will read from his debut novel, “How We Named The Stars,” Feb. 1 at 5:30 p.m. in the Clarke Lounge. Ordorica is based in Edinburg, Scotland and is a queer Latinx writer and draws inspiration from his third culture childhood. He is also the author of the collection of poems, “At Least This I Know” which was shortlisted for the Morley Prize for Unpublished Writers of Colour, the Mo Siewcharran Prize and the Saltire Society’s Poetry Book of The Year.

The reading will be held in part by the Theatre Studies Department in the School of Music, Theatre, and Dance as well as the English and Writing Departments in the School of Humanities and Sciences.

CIEE Douglass-O’Connell Global Internship Program open for study abroad opportunity

Apply to the Council on International Educational Exchange Douglass-O’Connell Global Internship Program by Feb. 1. 10 students will be chosen for the program to study abroad in Dublin from June 14 to Aug. 10, 2024. During the program, students will learn about social justice leaders Frederick Douglass and Daniel O’Connell. 

The entire program will be fully funded by the CIEE, including airfare, housing, field trips and an academic course, but excluding meals and free time activities. Eligible students who are not chosen will automatically qualify for a $1,500 scholarship that can be used for any CIEE Summer Global Internship program in 2024 or 2025. 

Requirements for eligibility include being current undergraduate freshman, sophomore or junior; have a minimum GPA of 3.0; be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national or permanent resident; be Pell Grant-eligible (preferred but not required) and submit a complete application no later than Feb. 1, 2024. 

An application workshop will be held virtually Jan. 31, 2024 at 1:00 p.m. For more information about studying abroad at Ithaca College, contact International Programs located in the Peggy Ryan Williams Center Room 074 at 607-274-3306 or at [email protected]

Volunteers needed for food pantry

Ithaca College’s food pantry will be open regular hours starting Jan. 29. The pantry will be open Tuesdays and Thursdays from 12:152 p.m. and Wednesdays and Fridays from 46 p.m. The pantry will be closed Mondays for thorough cleaning and restocking. The food pantry is located in the Campus Center’s Egbert Hall. 

Volunteer sign-up at the Food Pantry has opened; volunteers are encouraged to begin signing up for open slots that extend from Jan. 30 and May 14. Volunteers will check in shoppers when they arrive. Shoppers are limited to one shopping bag because the pantry’s reusable shopping bag supply is limited. 

Career Caravan makes its first monthly stop at the Peggy Ryan Williams Center

The Career Caravan will be set up at the Office of International Programs, located in the International Tea Center in the Peggy Ryan Williams Center Room 070, Jan. 31. This stop will be part of a monthly series of stops around campus to encourage students to learn more about the Center for Career Exploration and Development. At the stop, the caravan will allow students to stop and receive help from a Peer Career Advisor about how to write a resume and cover letter, tips for job and internship searching and networking. All students are encouraged to attend the caravan’s stop. 

Active Minds discusses medication while painting pill bottles

Paint pill bottles Jan. 30 from 67 p.m. with Active Minds in the Cayuga Lake room, located in the Campus Center. Pill bottles and painting supplies will be supplied. Attendees can participate in a discussion about medication and mental health. Participants who bring their own pill bottles will be asked to remove any labels that include identifying medical or personal information. Participants who would like to attend via Zoom should email [email protected] for the Zoom link. Active Minds is a student-led organization to facilitate and change conversations about mental health. The organization meets biweekly on Tuesdays at 6 p.m. in the Cayuga Lake room. 

Nature Rx starts its monthly walks outside

Nature Rx’s first monthly nature walk will be Jan. 31 from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m. All are welcome to participate in the walk and should meet at Hammond Health Center’s main entrance. The walk will begin at the health center’s main entrance and through the Boothroyd Woods trail and back. Participants are welcome to walk at their own pace, unplug earbuds and silence phones. All attendees should check the weather forecast and dress accordingly. The physical benefits of walking include improved sleep and fitness, reduced pain and restlessness; social benefits include improved confidence, connection and reduced isolation. The cognitive benefits to walking listed by the organization include improved concentration, working memory and awareness, while the emotional benefits include improved life satisfaction and decision-making, reduced rumination and worrying. Contact Nature Rx at icnaturerx.org for more information.

Holocaust survivor speaks to students about leading in a diverse world

Sam Rind, holocaust survivor, will be speaking to the college Feb. 1 at 7 p.m. in Emerson Suites. The talk will be coordinated by Hillel, where the campus community can RSVP to attend the talk. Attendees will have the chance to ask questions and discuss ideas after the address. Light refreshments will be provided. Individuals with disabilities requiring accommodations should contact Lauren Goldberg, Hillel’s executive director, at [email protected] as soon as possible. Rind spoke to the campus community in 2017 and is a regular speaker on college campuses. 

Auditions open for the Black History Month Showcase

Auditions for the Black History Month Showcase will be Feb. 2 between 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. in Whalen 3302. Sister 2 Sister, the women of color student organization, will be organizing the auditions and encourages anyone to audition. The showcase will be Feb. 18 in Emerson Suites. Email [email protected] with any questions. Sister 2 Sister meets every Tuesday from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. in the African Latino Society room in West Tower. The group seeks to offer members ways to expand their social, emotional, psychological and academic growth.